Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   click'n'ship (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/clicknship-t281225.html)

rbwiese 08-10-2016 02:50 PM

click'n'ship

If anyone has used the USPS Click'n'ship, I would like to ask a few questions.

Do I have to use specific labels, or can it be printed on plain paper and taped with shipping tape? This will go on Priority Mail padded envelopes.

I have heard that postage is a little less if this method is used. I can't find that info on the USPS site.

Thanks -

TwinRiverFarm 08-10-2016 04:24 PM

yes, you can print the labels on plain paper, then tape them on with clear shipping tape. I cover the entire label so it cannot be ripped by mistake. I think priority envelopes and boxes are set prices, but I save quite a bit on mailing packages ground shipping. You need to measure the box and weigh it, pay for the postage online once it is calculated, and make sure it is well sealed. But the time saved at the post office is another wonder, as well as the money saved.

moonrise 08-10-2016 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by rbwiese (Post 7624210)
If anyone has used the USPS Click'n'ship, I would like to ask a few questions.

Do I have to use specific labels, or can it be printed on plain paper and taped with shipping tape? This will go on Priority Mail padded envelopes.

I have heard that postage is a little less if this method is used. I can't find that info on the USPS site.

Thanks -

I use PayPal's version, which is tied in with the USPS, and yes, you can print on plain paper then tape it onto the package. Just don't tape over the Delivery Confirmation bar code or the "dot" postage code. Supposedly the tape makes it hard for the scanners to read them.

I'm not 100% sure about the Click-n-Ship discount, but you do get a discount through PayPal. For example, the package of I Spy squares I'll be mailing you for the swap was $6.10 though PayPal rather than $6.80. I'm willing to bet that Click-n-Ship gives a similar discount. :)

Angellight 08-10-2016 06:27 PM

Another option I use, especially since we send to kids overseas, is the plastic envelopes that stick to the box. They can be ordered from usps on the website and dropped off in your mailbox. And Yes, it save a couple of $$.
Good luck,
Susan

ptquilts 08-11-2016 02:40 AM

There is no longer any discount on the Click n Ship website (USPS). If you have a Paypal account and ship from there, you will save money. USPS website just saves you time, now. There used to be a discount but the latest USPS changes eliminated that.

I print on plain paper and use three strips of clear tape, lengthwise, to cover the whole label. Never had a problem.

moonrise 08-11-2016 03:14 AM

If you want to use PayPal, I can PM you a direct link that'll take you straight to their shipping label page. Not sure if it's okay to post it here or not. It can be hard to find on their website. :)

ManiacQuilter2 08-11-2016 03:45 AM

I use PayPal which is very similar giving one level down saving on shipping. They print the label and a receipt of your shipping. I always use a glue stick on the back of the label and make sure that the label will not come off, use shipping/packing tape, NOT scotch tape.

rbwiese 08-11-2016 09:35 AM

Thanks for all of the help!

Tudey 08-12-2016 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by TwinRiverFarm (Post 7624277)
yes, you can print the labels on plain paper, then tape them on with clear shipping tape. I cover the entire label so it cannot be ripped by mistake. I think priority envelopes and boxes are set prices, but I save quite a bit on mailing packages ground shipping. You need to measure the box and weigh it, pay for the postage online once it is calculated, and make sure it is well sealed. But the time saved at the post office is another wonder, as well as the money saved.

The only Priority boxes and envelopes with a set rate are the ones labeled "Flat Rate Box" or "Flat Rate Envelope" and you can still print that postage with Click N Ship

Lyncat 08-12-2016 07:48 PM

There is a discount if you use click n ship on flat rate priority boxes. I send grandchild goodie boxes a lot!