Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Closet Month: Want to Join me? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/closet-month-want-join-me-t306815.html)

Fizzle 09-12-2019 04:21 AM

I am in. . . Just have to figure out how, where, when! This is something i really want to do but I can’t seem to rally and do it! My thoughts were to clean out before my 60th birthday, which is now only 1 month away! I have to get motivated!!!!

zozee 09-12-2019 06:12 AM

Yay, Fizzle! Glad you’re in! Which closet do you most want to clean out?

carolynjo 09-12-2019 07:11 AM

I once had a friend who said she had 3 sets of clothes in different sizes. Her weight fluctuated so often she felt she needed those.

zozee 09-12-2019 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo (Post 8300730)
I once had a friend who said she had 3 sets of clothes in different sizes. Her weight fluctuated so often she felt she needed those.

I can understand that, especially given that the clothing industry doesn't have sizing standards. High-end clothing manufacturers will always label their clothing smaller to appeal to ego. Low end is a bit more consistent but still, not unusual to have a closet that spans 3 sizes. Besides, if you’re prone to fall/winter weight gain, some of us call the largest our hibernation size!

Kathy T. 09-12-2019 08:52 AM

My parents have been gone 6 and 15 years, respectively, and I am just today going through old paperwork. Shredding, tossing or keeping. I think closets would be a good next project, so I'm in!

zozee 09-12-2019 09:16 AM

Kathy, welcome to the closet club! LOL. I’m sorry you are having to do the dreaded paperwork purge because of your parents’ passing. Going through the process of sorting, reminiscing, deciding what to do with each thing that belonged to them, is a monumental task. I’m thankful to have three sisters —two who are a big help when they’re in town, and cheerleaders to me as One of the two local sisters.

The process of going through my mom’s things has only spurred me to let go now of everything that means nothing to me or isn’t practical or beautiful enough to take up space. My husband’s dad was a hoarder (hadn’t let any of the family in his house for years so we were clueless as to the waist high piles of newspapers) so he knows he doesn’t want to saddle our kids with the hardship of dealing with absolutely worthless stuff when we’re gone.

Doing two houses is not for the faint of heart, is it? I’m going to be right there with you in spirit as I manage the same chore! It’s a good thing I have my mom’s organizing genes!

Cheshirepat 09-12-2019 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by zozee (Post 8300744)
I can understand that, especially given that the clothing industry doesn't have sizing standards. High-end clothing manufacturers will always label their clothing smaller to appeal to ego. Low end is a bit more consistent but still, not unusual to have a closet that spans 3 sizes. Besides, if you’re prone to fall/winter weight gain, some of us call the largest our hibernation size!

Hibernation size!! I love it. I think I've entered the 'hibernation phase' of my life. My body has been beating me up lately (hormonal fun and etc.) and exercise has been my lowest priority. Needless to say I need to revise my closet which is somewhat dispriting...feels a bit like failure. However I've some nice things that could be sold, and some things no longer feel age-appropriate. I guess I'm in!

zozee 09-12-2019 01:14 PM

Making revisions is not a failure, it’s a sign of forward-thinking. Otherwise it’s stagnation. Look at the positive changes you want to make in your closet and focus on that. One good change begets another.

Pat M. 09-12-2019 06:41 PM

Well today I cleaned out my fabric closet, it is a walk in closet, and I could not see the floor, I took 15 kitchen size bags out of the closet and donated it to my quilt guild. My husband thinks I should get rid of more, HaHa, that is the quilting fabric, it stays. I still have another closet for another day.

zozee 09-12-2019 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Patricia M. (Post 8300912)
Well today I cleaned out my fabric closet, it is a walk in closet, and I could not see the floor, I took 15 kitchen size bags out of the closet and donated it to my quilt guild. My husband thinks I sho
uld get rid of more, HaHa, that is the quilting fabric, it stays. I still have another closet for another day.

Whoa! 15 kitchen size bags filled out of your closet?? Bravo! That is a lot of fabric! Good for you for being such a go-getter! Your hubby's comment sounds like something mine would say. LOL. But we appreciate each other's hobbies and neither one of us goes overboard (in our own minds). He's into guitars, and he comes back from music shows with lanyards, water bottles with the label of the show, guitar picks, coasters, and all other vendor clutter that makes him feel like a happy boy with a pocket full of frogs.