Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   cloth diapers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cloth-diapers-t229480.html)

Mimmis57 09-04-2013 05:30 PM

cloth diapers

I was wondering if anyone has made cloth diapers? My niece and my nephews' wife are both expecting and are going to use cloth. I got a book from Babyville but could use some guidance. I've searched you tube and the internet but my goodness it's just overwhelming.

BellaBoo 09-04-2013 05:41 PM

I would buy a package and wait a few months to see if the cloth diapers are still the choice. :)

Living4Him 09-04-2013 06:44 PM

I have! I'd be happy to answer whatever I can. Where are you stuck?

GingerK 09-04-2013 06:45 PM

My DD used cloth diapers for both her girls. The initial cost is huge but is only about half the cost of disposables over the diapered time of a baby. There are some draw backs. You have to use a special detergent because regular detergent negates the absorbancy of the liners. The liners have to be 'stripped' occasionally--means a special washing of some sort. You cannot use diaper cream on the baby because it interferes with the absorbancy(unless you put an extra little liner between butt and diaper).

I have also replaced the elastic on the legs and backs of many of those diapers. Pain in the butt but do-able and prolongs the life of the diaper. (this is the 'outer' part)

It is a great concept but I really don't think a lot of new parents understand the work and commitment this needs.

Making the outers consists of a special fabric, a special pattern and special fasteners. I am thrilled that DD did not ask me to attempt that. The liners are easier but still need certain fabrics and a serger.

If you are willing to do this, you are a better person than I am!!

Misty's Mom 09-05-2013 03:53 AM

My mother was way ahead of her time. She made diapers for my boys 40 years ago. She used unbleached muslin, as she was out of bleached, sandwiched them with batting, birthing method, and quilted a few lines to keep the batting from shifting. These were great and lasted forever.

dakotamaid 09-05-2013 04:53 AM

That is how I did mine, only put flannel on the outside. I still have those diapers, we use them as rags in the shop. Cause this was 30 years ago and I was a stay at home mom.

Misty's Mom 09-05-2013 05:10 AM

That's right, we used what we had. Didn't need fancy fabrics that needed special care. Just toss these in the wash and they came out clean every time :)

GingerK 09-05-2013 07:50 AM

But those were designed to be used with rubber/plastic pants. I haven't seen anything like that lately, have you?

Misty's Mom 09-05-2013 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK (Post 6275304)
But those were designed to be used with rubber/plastic pants. I haven't seen anything like that lately, have you?

No, but you could make something when you needed waterproof. My boys couldn't stand to have waterproof 24/7. They got terrible rashes.

Tothill 09-05-2013 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK (Post 6274373)
My DD used cloth diapers for both her girls. The initial cost is huge but is only about half the cost of disposables over the diapered time of a baby. There are some draw backs. You have to use a special detergent because regular detergent negates the absorbancy of the liners. The liners have to be 'stripped' occasionally--means a special washing of some sort. You cannot use diaper cream on the baby because it interferes with the absorbancy(unless you put an extra little liner between butt and diaper).

I have also replaced the elastic on the legs and backs of many of those diapers. Pain in the butt but do-able and prolongs the life of the diaper. (this is the 'outer' part)

It is a great concept but I really don't think a lot of new parents understand the work and commitment this needs.

Making the outers consists of a special fabric, a special pattern and special fasteners. I am thrilled that DD did not ask me to attempt that. The liners are easier but still need certain fabrics and a serger.

If you are willing to do this, you are a better person than I am!!

I disagree, from personal experience, with some of the above comments.

My dd needed cloth diapers, she could not wear disposable ones at all from the age of 4 months. My sons both were in disposables.

I did not have to use special detergent, although I did soak in borax regularly. I used hot water when I washed them.

I used various diapers creams as needed, no problem with the diapers.

I worked full time and dd went to day care, cloth diapers only added a few loads of laundry to my week as far as extra work went. During the summer they were line dried.

Because dd was out last baby I bought all the cloth diapers second hand at a great savings. I even resold them once she was toileting at 20 months.

I do not like the AIO All in One diapers. I used a diaper with rubber pants. The diapers I had had velcro fasteners. Many of the newer ones use snaps.