Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Clover Brand clam shell accessories bag (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/clover-brand-clam-shell-accessories-bag-t243481.html)

oneteappot 03-18-2014 06:58 PM

Clover Brand clam shell accessories bag

I ordered the templates for the Clover brand clam shell accessories bag. I was wondering if any of you have made them. And if you have, do you know what type of plastic that you can use to make the templates and the bags?
ThNks
Laurel/oneteappot

auntpiggylpn 03-18-2014 07:11 PM

I bought some of these at Tuesday Morning about a month ago but I haven't done anything with them yet. I didn't even open a package to check them out but looking thru the packaging, I thought it looked like I could use template plastic to make them without buying more kits.

Julienm1 03-20-2014 05:05 AM

go to the dollar store and buy the cutting mats that you use in the kitchen!

auntpiggylpn 03-20-2014 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Julienm1 (Post 6635962)

What a FABULOUS idea!!!

mary quilting 03-20-2014 08:29 AM

thanks for the idea I bought the kit at Tuesday Morning also but did not want to the ones in the kit I wanted to make more than one.

Originally Posted by Julienm1 (Post 6635962)

Mimmis57 03-20-2014 11:43 AM

The dollar stores in my area don't carry these any more! I used to use them all the time so I'm very disappointed. I've used the plastic place mats from there but they aren't transparent. I've asked about them but they don't know if they will be carrying them anymore.

mem 03-20-2014 05:20 PM

My neighbor told me to use the heaviest quilters template plastic that Joanns carries. They were out when I was there, but I found one piece at Hobby Lobby. Seems to be equal to what's in the Clover package and worked fine in the clamshells I've made.

If you've got the largest size clamshell, don't be surprised when you find twice the number of pieces you'd expect in your package. With that one size, you double the layers to make it really sturdy.

I was concerned about the stress on the thread holding the sides together, so used leftover hand quilting thread to sew them together...they seem quite sturdy.

The dollar stores down here in So. Texas don't have the plastic cutting mats, either :(.

oneteappot 03-21-2014 07:09 PM

I knew that I would get some answers. I will have to check my dollar stores. And have my hubby stop by Joann's and Hobby Lobby when we are out that way tomorrow. You would think that they would offer the material for the templates.
Thanks! How hard are they to sew together?
Laurel

DOTTYMO 03-21-2014 10:58 PM

Although not thick I have used plastic folders.
If using kitchen mats and the are not clear cut out the centre.
Just 2 ideas

mem 03-22-2014 02:10 AM

Not hard to sew together, just awkward to hold the pieces while you're doing it. The second one is easier than the first...by then you know what you're doing :).

You don't actually have the Clover packet yet, right? Once you do, you'll be able to tell just how thick the template pieces are and how they compare to the sheets that are available and you can experiment with different weights of plastic.

Dottiemo said, "If using kitchen mats and the are not clear cut out the centre."
I don't understand this. Your plastic pieces will be covered by a layer of batting and then a layer of fabric. Unless your mat is very dark and your fabric very light, I can't see how the color of the mat would be a problem. Also, wouldn't this weaken the sides and offer less protection to whatever is in the clamshell?

Good luck!