Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Colors - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/colors-t279642.html)

bearisgray 06-16-2016 08:17 AM

Colors -

Have any of you that have been very ill found some colors to be more "energizing/healing" than others?

If so, what were they?

And on the other hand - did you find some colors to be "draining/tiring"? If so, what were they?

dunster 06-16-2016 08:54 AM

I haven't been very ill, but when I moved into this home I found that the color of the walls was very unpleasant for me. Every room in the house, except for one (which was bright pink), was painted in various shades of yellow, including a very unsettling greenish-yellow. I actually like yellow, but too much is too much. I immediately had the entire house repainted, using soothing blue-grey tones (except for the pale green in the formerly bright pink bedroom because of the green tile in its bathroom) and I feel much better. My previous home was new when we bought it and had been painted by the contractor with a medium brown throughout, including ceilings, with white trim. I found it to be dark and dismal, especially in Oregon where there are so many overcast days.

ManiacQuilter2 06-16-2016 11:49 AM

I have only white wall having moved to an apt. I like bright colors around me but soothing and relaxing colors in my bedroom.

DOTTYMO 06-16-2016 11:09 PM

I think colours are very personal especially when putting 2 or more together. My living room is cream with accents of grey and maroon. My kitchen is very pale green because of my tiles. bathroom is white and fawn. My bedroom is cream and dining room grey.

Wanabee Quiltin 06-17-2016 05:21 AM

When my mother died, I found that I could not bear to be in my living room which was really quite beautiful. It had dark blue walls that was perfect with the floral sofa. I also could not go to church with the loud rock music. When I am ill, I have found that for me, softer colors make me feel better.

I've noticed that you ask some very interesting questions: Are you a sociology major?

madamekelly 06-17-2016 11:14 AM

When I bought my home, I got a great deal from the bank because the previous owner had painted it "unusual" colors. The living room and master bath were olive drab green, kitchen and master bedroom were brick, dining room and family room were medium brown, 2nd bedroom and main bath were purple, and the 3rd bedroom was hot pink on two walls and acid green on the other two! It has raspberry carpeting throughout! This is a manufactured home, and they are quite dark because of smaller windows, so we got busy and painted all walls in more soothing colors, except for the kitchen. It is now fire engine red, to go with the strawberry decor, and waterproof. I also dropped most of the curtains rods by a foot to simulate skylights. I love my house now. I find I like pastels for comfort and bright colors for energizing.

Windblown 06-17-2016 12:33 PM

If I am around red when it is bright light I can get migraine headaches. I find green and green-blue to be vary soothing. A pale yellow is kind also.
I think that colors for a room and colors for a quilt are two different things. For a room the light makes or brakes a color.

Jan in VA 06-17-2016 08:37 PM

When I became a certified hypnotherapist 16 years ago, I found that my personal "inner color" was a clear, soft aqua -- the sort I have a hard time finding in a fabric. I often "go to" that deep place inside when I need to get to sleep, or have too much on my mind, or am worrying (upcoming surgery?!) and know I'm "there" when I see that aqua color behind my eye lids. :)

Interestingly I like to wear aqua/turquoise colors, too, though only the bathroom decor has it in the towels and shower curtain. (not my link, don't know why it shows up here!)

Browns in all values are my least tolerated. Come to think of it, that's probably why I'm not real happy in this cottage at the Lake because the inside is so "beigey". Yuck!~

Jan in VA

Chasing Hawk 06-17-2016 08:57 PM

The interior of our house is painted a color they call Tawny Taupe. It looks like a glass of light colored chocolate milk. It is very relaxing and took us a little bit of getting used to. My main sewing room is painted in a color called Swiss coffee which is an off white with a tint of yellow in it. My sewing room is a upbeat happy spot, no yelling or bad vibes allowed.

I am put off by bright neon colors, an assault to the senses in my opinion.

quiltingshorttimer 06-18-2016 05:59 PM

I've read that reds simulate appetite (think about all the restaurants with red carpet, etc) and that dark colors tend be less energizing, that yellows and oranges tend to energize, that blues, greens& purples tend to be more soothing unless "electric"