Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Complacency- a different viewpoint (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/complacency-different-viewpoint-t267600.html)

Wanabee Quiltin 07-15-2015 05:45 AM

Complacency- a different viewpoint

I was reading in a book this morning and it said that Complacency simply means being sure we're right, taking it for granted that our view couldn't possibly be wrong. It means judging others by what we think is right. It blocks our understanding and kindness and justifies qualities in ourselves that we wouldn't find tolerable in other people.
I am thinking that I must be very complacent because I look at other's behaviors and find them lacking. Guess I need to change my way of thinking !

tessagin 07-15-2015 05:55 AM

Interesting!!

Geri B 07-15-2015 06:19 AM

I would post that question/answer to the author of that definition of the word......means we are all complacent? Now I have to get out the dictionary!

....and I did...here is M/W definition.....feeling of being satisfied with how things are and not wanting to try to make them better. Self satisfaction especially when accompanied by unawareness of actual danger or deficiency..

Seems a bit different than what is in original post definition.....

Wanabee Quiltin 07-15-2015 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7257481)
I would post that question/answer to the author of that definition of the word......means we are all complacent? Now I have to get out the dictionary!

....and I did...here is M/W definition.....feeling of being satisfied with how things are and not wanting to try to make them better. Self satisfaction especially when accompanied by unawareness of actual danger or deficiency..

Seems a bit different than what is in original post definition.....

I figured there are many different definitions, I wanted to see how people responded.

Yooper32 07-16-2015 03:56 AM

To me, it means that whatever is going on, you are OK with it.

Onebyone 07-16-2015 04:20 AM

Complacency simply means being sure we're right, taking it for granted that our view couldn't possibly be wrong. It means judging others by what we think is right. It blocks our understanding and kindness and justifies qualities in ourselves that we wouldn't find tolerable in other people.
Too me that is called narrow minded.
To me complacency means not caring enough to pick a side. Every dull boring person I ever met was always compliant to whatever was going on.

sassysews2 07-16-2015 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin (Post 7257439)
I was reading in a book this morning and it said that Complacency simply means being sure we're right, taking it for granted that our view couldn't possibly be wrong. It means judging others by what we think is right. It blocks our understanding and kindness and justifies qualities in ourselves that we wouldn't find tolerable in other people.
I am thinking that I must be very complacent because I look at other's behaviors and find them lacking. Guess I need to change my way of thinking !

or throw that book away!! Not to say we all need to not do these things to some degree but that is definitely not complacency.

crafty pat 07-16-2015 08:52 AM

To me it means going with the flow and not caring enough to do anything to make a difference.

maryellen2u 07-16-2015 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by crafty pat (Post 7258595)
To me it means going with the flow and not caring enough to do anything to make a difference.

I agree with this. Maybe complacency is what allowed the Holocaust or for slavery to last for so long. Not enough people cared enough or had the courage to do anything about a wrong. All of us can do something to make a difference; to make someone's life different or better. To my thinking complacency should be in short supply.

alleyoop1 07-17-2015 04:54 AM

That is that author's definition of complacency. Some decisions or lack of decisions might be considered complacency when they are made for other reasons.