Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Computer Clutter ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/computer-clutter-t43028.html)

watterstide 04-17-2010 02:49 PM

someone sent me this a while ago..i like the idea of getting rid of clutter...but doing it is another thing.

i just went though alot of my "favorites",deleted about 20 of them..that i will never go to again.

i wish there was a btter way to do it..

i made some new folders in "my documents" and trying to get the the stray documents into folders with the same type of info.
(patterns,recipes,quilt blocks etc..)

how are you at keeping up with your "favorites" or "bookmark"
sites? Kim

amma 04-17-2010 03:24 PM

I keep mine in folders now in my email account. This way if my computer crashes, I don't lose them, and I can file them in a manner that is easier for me to find. I email the website url back to myself and then pop it into the correct folder.

Boston1954 04-17-2010 03:33 PM

I have twenty flash drives. That's right I said twenty. I have everything from my quilting stuff, to photographs taken in my family before I was even born. My poetry, recipes, my best photography, all kinds of stuff. That way I do not need to keep it in the computer.

BellaBoo 04-17-2010 03:54 PM

I let Google store mine so they don't take up any computer space. Google bookmarks is free and so easy to use. I use Google Chrome so my most often read sites are displayed on start up, all I have to do is click. I store all my docs/text at Box.net and my pictures at Picasa web album online. I use a free website to keep all my recipes in one place. I copy and paste to it. I don't have any business/personal files on my computer, it's for my entertainment use only.

craftybear 04-17-2010 04:58 PM

what sites do you use for your recipes???

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I let Google store mine so they don't take up any computer space. Google bookmarks is free and so easy to use. I use Google Chrome so my most often read sites are displayed on start up, all I have to do is click. I store all my docs/text at Box.net and my pictures at Picasa web album online. I use a free website to keep all my recipes in one place. I copy and paste to it. I don't have any business/personal files on my computer, it's for my entertainment use only.

amandasgramma 04-17-2010 05:03 PM

I type my recipes into Word documents. I've been storing my FAVORITES (or bookmarks) -- web sites I love, in order with files like above. Every once in a while I export that to a flash drive...so if the computer crashes I have my favorites. Same with pictures.

Boston1954!!! OMG - 20!!!!!!!! That's more memory than the budget of the largest state dept of Oregon needed!!!! LOL LOL - but then, we didn't save pictures... :thumbup:

Boston1954 04-17-2010 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I type my recipes into Word documents. I've been storing my FAVORITES (or bookmarks) -- web sites I love, in order with files like above. Every once in a while I export that to a flash drive...so if the computer crashes I have my favorites. Same with pictures.

Boston1954!!! OMG - 20!!!!!!!! That's more memory than the budget of the largest state dept of Oregon needed!!!! LOL LOL - but then, we didn't save pictures... :thumbup:

I save my recipes in the computer until I am able to try them out. Once I get Jim's input as to how he likes them, I print them out and put them into an old blank page book my mother gave me. There are some in the book in her own handwriting.

Oh, yes. A very large part of the stuff on my flash drives is pictures I have saved that I found online. Beautiful scenery, factal pictures, even actors. Most of them are either 2G or 4G. I also have my father's diaries from WWII. He kept a diary during the whole war and even before.

watterstide 04-18-2010 03:40 AM

WOW! you guys are good! i bought the flash drive, but haven't used it yet.
i did find a bunch of bad links in my favorites..so deleted them too.
i am so trying to get organized, so i don't loose the important stuff!

BellaBoo 04-18-2010 08:03 AM

I use Voy free forum site. I post the name of the recipe as the post subject and then the message is the recipe. Works great! Any free forum site will work the same.