Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   cost of school supplies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/cost-school-supplies-t281075.html)

BarbaraSTX 08-05-2016 07:20 AM

cost of school supplies

Went to Wal-Mart with a list of school supplies for my grandchildren. I only got about half of what was on the list and spent $86. What in the world do parents with 4 or 5 kids do?

ManiacQuilter2 08-05-2016 07:24 AM

Gee wiz, and I thought school supplies were on sale!

cjsews 08-05-2016 07:56 AM

Weeks before school the office supply stores have sales for 1 cent and up. My DD spent $18 one weekend and saved $93. That's what the wise and penny thrift do ��

ibex94 08-05-2016 09:01 AM

I'm not seeing major affordability on school supplies either. I've hit the dollar stores in the area, too. The composition notebooks tend to be more affordable at the Walmart/Target type stores... sometimes even grocery stores carry them for $.50 each! I'm still waiting for the cheap Elmer's glue, lol. Maybe in another week? Schools have opened in my neck of the woods. Yesterday was first day for the public schools... private in another week and then they begin.

Tartan 08-05-2016 10:24 AM

I bought the regulars....pencil case, paper, pencil, pens, white eraser, laurentian pencil crayons, glue stick and then waited for the exact others they needed from their teacher. Of course Walmart has a list ready for you at the door but they pad that list so you buy more stuff.

Jane Quilter 08-05-2016 10:38 AM

why is school starting so early?

PurplePassion 08-05-2016 12:56 PM

And they need 48 pencils, already sharpened ; because the teachers don't want them going up to use the sharpener in the classroom. I think is should go back to just buying what your kid uses; and not for the whole class. And what happens to the supplies that don't get used at the end of the school year?

tessagin 08-05-2016 01:21 PM

my niece got the list for her daughter. She showed me some of the items she had to get. Took them into our office to see if we had any extra they could use. Turns out we had a few items that saved her at least $25.00. Had a couple pens all she needed was refills. Plenty of pencils. Even an extra calculator. She's in middle school now so the list isn't as long as elementary but just as costly. My dad used to bring paper and pencils home to us. There was never a need for special paper like college ruled until high school.

suern3 08-05-2016 01:40 PM

I feel bad for the parents, too. I'm sure not all of the children are really able to bring all of the items requested. I feel bad for the schools, also. Many of them are having their funding cut to the bare bones trying to save tax dollars. Some school districts have had terrible cuts. Teachers often have to pay for supplies out of their own pockets. I'm sure they are grateful to those who can send extras. In our area there are drives to collect school supplies for those who can't afford them. I think they are distributed by Salvation Army here. It was always a fun time in our house when everyone got their new stuff and the kids loved sorting and organizing their new things. We were a lucky family.

SSStitches 08-05-2016 02:36 PM

Took my middle school grandson to his orientation, $25 for PE uniform, $90 for class fees! Then supplies $45. Add the cost of school uniforms. I get to take his brother, a senior, tomorrow. WOW.