Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Could someone out there please design a better presser foot? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/could-someone-out-there-please-design-better-presser-foot-t208123.html)

Radiana 12-10-2012 02:19 PM

Could someone out there please design a better presser foot?

Ladies I've been away for a year dealing with stuff and haven't been quilting but hopefully by March I'd like to get back to it. I think it was around Mother's day of 2011 when I bought myself a Brother computerized machine that had an embrodery attachment. Long story short I started sewing with the wrong stitch while I had the quarter inch foot on and the needle hit the foot and ever since the machine makes an ugly noise when I change stitches. I haven't taken in for repair yet, too afraid of the cost.

I've been told there are no quilting police so why hasn't anyone designed a presser foot that had a space on it wide enough for those of us that might make a mistake on the stitch settings. I know the foot is used for a straight stitch but I also know that I can't be the only one who gets weary at the machine and makes mistakes.

Quilters are a huge consumer group so I'm sure these presser feet would sell with the proper advertising. Who knows maybe there's a presser foot out there already that I'm not aware of that would allow for mistakes. If anyone knows of one please let me know.

Prism99 12-10-2012 10:31 PM

I use a zigzag foot on my machine at all times. To sew accurate quarter-inch seams, I place a layer of moleskin at the correct distance and use that as a physical buffer for my fabric.

I've did the same thing you did several times (although it did not mess up my machine), and that's when I decided to leave the zigzag foot on all the time.

Along the same lines, I quit trying to use the straight stitch needle plate (just has a single hold in it, which is supposed to provide a more accurate straight stitch). I leave the zigzag needle plate in the machine.

gotta-sew 12-10-2012 11:11 PM

Check your settings, you can choose for the needle to be in the center needle position instead of the left needle default setting. Or you could move the needle over using the stitch width button until it is centered maybe about 5.5 or 6.0, then touch the memory key and that will set the needle in the center position each time you go to that stitch. This is a common mistake so feel in good company. But, I don't know why your machine is now making a funny noise when you change the stitches.

lab fairy 12-10-2012 11:50 PM

It sounds like you messed up the timing on your machine when you hit the foot. I don't own a Brother but many machines have feet with larger openings. Check with your dealer.

Radiana 12-11-2012 09:12 AM

Thank you ladies. I wish this machine had a default that always returned to a straight stitch in the middle each time it was turned on but it doesn't. I think at the time of the accident I was just very fatigued which happens a lot when I'm at the sewing machine for too long. I like the idea of using a zig zag foot and putting the moleskin on as a guide.

I checked with Brother after this happened and their quarter inch presser feet didn't have anything more than the small hole in the middle. The machine still works fine I just hate the sound it makes. Who knows maybe after sitting idle for over a year it might be all better. Now that's wishful thinking.

lclang 12-12-2012 06:01 AM

My Babylock clearly tells you what foot you are to use with every stitch. I am learning every day what this machine will do, but it takes some time and reading the instructions to figure it all out. However, I love lots of the features so it is well worth the time.

jitkaau 12-12-2012 06:06 AM

The narrow opening and also single stitch plate makes a very nice stitch. If you use one with a wider opening you will not have the good result for which you are looking .. I would like to combine all the best bits from each brand of machine into one. I prefer the Brother stitching for quilting and have two brother machines. However, it was my Pfaff that reminded me that the single stitch plate or foot was on. I also prefer the Brother and Husqvarna button hole methods to other brands. If we were rich enough, we could buy each machine for its specific specialty

IBQLTN 12-12-2012 11:59 AM

I had my students put a post it note in plain site that said, CHANGE FOOT! or CHANGE __________ (fill in the blank, stitch width, needle position, etc.)

Also, keep a note with your project on what you did (moved needle to 5.5 or set stitch length at 2.0) so that if you put the project away and so something else in the meantime you can have the exact same seam width you started with.

overdew 12-12-2012 08:17 PM

A better foot control needed also

Originally Posted by Radiana (Post 5711332)
Ladies I've been away for a year dealing with stuff and haven't been quilting but hopefully by March I'd like to get back to it. I think it was around Mother's day of 2011 when I bought myself a Brother computerized machine that had an embrodery attachment. Long story short I started sewing with the wrong stitch while I had the quarter inch foot on and the needle hit the foot and ever since the machine makes an ugly noise when I change stitches. I haven't taken in for repair yet, too afraid of the cost.

I've been told there are no quilting police so why hasn't anyone designed a presser foot that had a space on it wide enough for those of us that might make a mistake on the stitch settings. I know the foot is used for a straight stitch but I also know that I can't be the only one who gets weary at the machine and makes mistakes.

Quilters are a huge consumer group so I'm sure these presser feet would sell with the proper advertising. Who knows maybe there's a presser foot out there already that I'm not aware of that would allow for mistakes. If anyone knows of one please let me know.

May I suggest an improved foot control as well. I want one that stays put, low to the floor, with good speed control. And, yes, I love the knee control on my 401a cabinet!