Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   could you edit a book? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/could-you-edit-book-t290381.html)

thimblebug6000 08-11-2017 05:01 PM

could you edit a book?

One of my nieces who was an editor at Harlequin has just branched out on her own.... I just can't imagine having the nerve to do that... guess 20 years difference in age is the answer, whew!
I have recently been trying to cut and follow a pattern that was authored and edited.... I hate to admit it.... but.... maybe I need to confine myself to repeated patterns?

quilt1950 08-11-2017 05:32 PM

Nope, I could not edit a book. Once I see something written I have a hard time getting it out of my mind, even if I know it could be phrased better. I dreaded having to edit reports at work.

Prism99 08-11-2017 06:07 PM

I could, but I wouldn't like it. Have done a lot of editing of college papers in my lifetime. Nowadays, I'd rather be quilting!

Is your niece doing freelance editing? I'm thinking that university campuses would be a good place to advertise.

quiltingshorttimer 08-11-2017 06:23 PM

I sometimes edit for my DH who is a writer. But he's wary of me being too critical, so usually has a friend do his initial x3 editing--I usually get to read stuff when it's copy ready--and then I catch the misspells and typos! I'm not so great with grammar stuff though.

cashs_mom 08-11-2017 06:39 PM

I could and would probably like it. I used to do a lot of editing for my husband when we were starting the business and he had to write quote for clients. I sometimes think I missed my calling life and should have been a research assistant or editor.

Jan in VA 08-11-2017 08:34 PM

I've edited for my DH, and both my daughters through college and later works/letters/papers/etc. They are all much more "educated" than I am, but I had the better grade school and high school English teachers than they did. Plus I adored creative writing and had an incredibly supportive high school teacher for it who hand-picked me for her class. I was truly blessed. :o I also love to read, that helps me as an occasional "wordsmith".

Jan in VA

Irishrose2 08-11-2017 09:08 PM

I recently edited a book for a friend who writes books about overcoming the trauma of sexual abuse. Tough material to deal with, but it needed spelling, grammar and sometimes intent. She is a wonderful person and writer, but didn't have the same English teachers Jan did. Years ago I corrected college English papers for my second daughter. She was a great teacher and writer, but not speller, nor could she identify a run on sentence.
So, yes, I could and have edited a book.

ckcowl 08-12-2017 02:29 AM

I enjoy editing. Just one of those things. Some people enjoy it, some not so much. I work with a young author and have a couple friends who are authors. I enjoy being part of their Process.

JENNR8R 08-12-2017 04:13 AM

I edit everything that I read... I just don't get paid for it! :)

I mentally circle the errors on everything that I read. The only book that I have never found an error is the Bible. I haven't read all of the versions though.

SusieQOH 08-12-2017 04:46 AM

I've edited things for my husband and sons. Enjoy it but don't know if I could edit anything as large as a book. My niece in Paris edits and translates books. She has such an interesting life!!