Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Craigslist (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/craigslist-t251390.html)

Dodie 08-07-2014 04:08 AM

Craigs List is all free but please be careful we listed a wood slitter no address just town and our phone number we goy some crazy texts saying to send our address so they could send a check I called the number back but said they could not take the call at that time so after several texts I called them again and left a message telling them to call instead of texting as I did not except checks this way so was last I heard I am not sure what is going on but please be careful with to much personal info

ptquilts 08-07-2014 05:02 AM

When you list something for sale, be sure to put CASH ONLY in the text. I used to get those scam emails too, but I think CL changed their format somehow, I don't get them as much anymore.

Any time someone offers to send you a CHECK for something and have you ship it = BIG SCAM.. I would not even reply.

That being said, I did have a very old printer listed for free on CL once, someone from about 1000 miles away contacted me and offered to pay to have it shipped. He paid through Paypal, I shipped it, it was all legit. One in a million!!

And if you ever have a question as to an email, copy a sentence from it. Go to Google and paste in search. If it is a scam, you will see a bazillion hits with the EXACT same sentence in it. The scammers are not very creative!

ranger 08-07-2014 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 6835396)
When you list something for sale, be sure to put CASH ONLY in the text. I used to get those scam emails too, but I think CL changed their format somehow, I don't get them as much anymore.

Any time someone offers to send you a CHECK for something and have you ship it = BIG SCAM.. I would not even reply.

That being said, I did have a very old printer listed for free on CL once, someone from about 1000 miles away contacted me and offered to pay to have it shipped. He paid through Paypal, I shipped it, it was all legit. One in a million!!

And if you ever have a question as to an email, copy a sentence from it. Go to Google and paste in search. If it is a scam, you will see a bazillion hits with the EXACT same sentence in it. The scammers are not very creative!

Thanks so much for this info.

Mornigstar 08-07-2014 06:02 PM

Also live in Ontario so wondered --if you try something on CL --would you please do a new post as a follow up
to this one so others here will know if it worked. I helped a man in Fl use CL --I took
photo's of his camper -then he told me what he wanted in the ad (he was sitting with me ) Had people use
his Ohio cell phone number to call/ view it. He sold it and 2 years later was back at park with different camper.

It was a good learning experience for me . Funny because he was told to ask hubby who is the techy person.
Norm says --Oh I don't do that kind of thing but get wife to help you so I had to drop what I was doing just to be a good neighbor . I didn't even know / like that guy either. He was more pleasant to me when he came back next time.

I started using Kijji when wanting to find a fabric panel and doilies because a lady in my sewing group talked
about using it and having good luck selling things. So far so good.

tapper 08-08-2014 12:15 PM

I have tried Kijiji to sell my quilts. I didn't get enough money to pay for the fabic I used. I had no problems with the Kijiji website but people just won't pay a fair price. At least, that's was my experience.