Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Crazy Local Festivals (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/crazy-local-festivals-t60443.html)

Alondra 08-21-2010 11:49 PM

Hey, Scissor Girl... Colorado has some pretty piquant town names, too, such as La Jara. I can't tell you what it means on here, but if you know anyone who speaks Arabic, they can tell you. <G> It's the same word used in Guadalajara (as in Mexico or Spain). The first part of the word means "river" and the last part is something that doesn't smell too good. :lol: La Jara produces some really good onions, though. You have to wonder who named those towns, and why.

angieh1964 08-22-2010 01:30 AM

railroad fest in may
dover canal days
new towne days
american italian days
ribs burn off
football hall of fame week
atwood festival (fall)
apple
pumpkin
and ALL the county fairs
swiss festival

angieh1964 08-22-2010 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by LittleMo
The Pineapple Festival in Yeppoon - about 40 kms away

oh that sounds so good we love fresh pineapple

angieh1964 08-22-2010 01:35 AM

[quote=Scissor Queen]The craziest festivals I've ever heard of are both in Colorado. There's the frozen dead guy festival and there's the headless chicken festival.[/quot

lmbo! must be the lack of oxygen!

eiltcoq 08-22-2010 04:17 AM

quilt3311, I'd love to see the 'chicken quilts', if you will be going to the festival and taking pictures of the quilt. I have one that I'll be working on this Fall.
I love to hear what is happening in other parts of the Country.
I always though it would be nice to take 3 months off and travel the Country. Work gets in the way, though. Thanks for sharing. Eiltcoq.

cyniree 08-22-2010 06:13 AM

we have a Spinach festival in our area.

Panther Creek Quilting 08-22-2010 07:13 AM

Well I want in on the craziest festival contest!

Eldon, Missouri (about 20 miles from here) has the Annual Testicle Festival! Yes, you read that right. They have fried mountain oysters, turkey fries and hog fries. They also have music and fine spirits and it always gets tons of attendees.

cyniree 08-22-2010 07:15 AM

I have heard of this, I even took a photo of the billboard, cause I thought it was so funny. then I was told about it, yuck.

cyniree 08-22-2010 07:18 AM

Panther Creek quilting, I am down by Eldon a lot. Do you have some favorite shops? I found a place that has quilts, not sure what else, its off C road, from 52, by Versailles. Do you know of it, too. Are there any others close by, Jeff, or any where else. I know about stovers shop.
Thanks

MillieH 08-22-2010 08:04 AM

Our little town (Colfax, LA) of about 6,000 swells to 70,000+ the first full weekend of November for the Louisiana Pecan Festival. I think there is a festival somewhere in Louisiana all year long. Bunkie has the Corn Festival, in other surrounding towns the Couchon de Lait Festival (roasted pig--translates literally "milk-fed" or "suckling" pig), boudain festival, and about every other food grown in LA festival.

Across the border in Hamburg, AR, is the Armadillo Festival. I've never figured out why they celebrate this animal that is notorious for digging holes in lawns, and scratching up and eating flower bulbs.