Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Crocheting Granny Squares (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/crocheting-granny-squares-t273221.html)

Boston1954 12-11-2015 05:49 PM

Crocheting Granny Squares

When you finish a square, how much of a "tail" do you leave? I have been leaving 4 to 5 inches, and then weaving them under the other crochet. I feel that it's a chore to do that part. Can I just put a knot and then cut them shorter? Or would this make them vulnerable to raveling?

quiltsRfun 12-11-2015 06:18 PM

Yes, they'd be vulnerable to raveling. Plus I don't like the look of knots. (Says the former needle arts judge for the Utah State Fair.)

Tartan 12-11-2015 07:00 PM

​it is a pain to weave in the ends but that is what I was taught to do. I think it is even more important now that a lot of the yarns are synthetic. Synthetics seems to unravel faster then natural fibers.

Yooper32 12-12-2015 03:25 AM

I would leave a longer one for "sewing" the blocks together.

megs0863 12-12-2015 05:07 AM

I have been doing granny squares for over 30 years. I leave a long tail and when I crochet the squares together, I make sure to align the tails together and tie them into a small tight knot. I then weave the tails in. This might not be the official way, but I have never had a blanket unravel. If there is a tail by itself, I will knot it in place with a tight knot and weave it in. I think if you don't knot it, even a tail can can loosen out and unravel with washing and wear and tear. When the blanket gets older with wear and tear, the yarn will thin and loosen anyway, lending itself to more unraveling. I have granny squares that still good 30 years later because I used a smaller hook, crocheted the squares tightly and knotted them tightly.

Wanabee Quiltin 12-12-2015 08:12 AM

I always weave the tails back into the square, don't knot it and cut it off, it's ugly.

madamekelly 12-12-2015 11:08 AM

I was taught to leave a tail shorter than one of the sides of the crochet, then to lay them in the seam as you attach the individual motifs together. No knots, no weaving, and very secure. I also crochet over the tail of the color I am ending, and the new color I am adding with the first few stitches of the new color.

wendiq 12-12-2015 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly (Post 7401868)
I was taught to leave a tail shorter than one of the sides of the crochet, then to lay them in the seam as you attach the individual motifs together. No knots, no weaving, and very secure. I also crochet over the tail of the color I am ending, and the new color I am adding with the first few stitches of the new color.

I was taught that way too, madamekelly.......never had a complaint!

carolynjo 12-13-2015 04:05 PM

I spent many,many hours this fall rechrocheting granny squares that my late sister did not knot securely. Please do weave the tails in so they will not ravel.