Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Crock Pot Yogurt. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/crock-pot-yogurt-t162385.html)

Mitch's mom 10-22-2011 10:00 AM

I love yogurt but it is so full of artificial flavors and colors and a bunch of other things I rarely buy it. I found a recipe for making it in the crock pot / slow cooker. It seemed easy enough. Get 1/2 a gallon of milk, dump it in the crock and cook on low for 2 hours. Turn the heat off, then cool for about 3 hours or to a temperature of 110 to 115 degrees. When the milk is cooled, remove a cup of the milk and stir 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt that has active cultures into it until smooth. Dump the mixture back in the pot, stir, cover and wrap the crock in a bath towel, then place the whole thing in the oven with the oven light on for 8 hours. Easy peazy, nice 'n easy.

Unless you are married to my husband. I put it in the oven at 9:00 pm last night. I went into the kitchen around 10:00 pm to find the oven light turned off. I checked my crock and it was still warm enough so I turned the light back on, and since DH was asleep on the couch, I put a note on the top of the stove "DO NOT TURN OFF THE OVEN LIGHT!!!" I got up this morning at 5:00 and wouldn't you know - the oven light was off! He said he didn't see the note. He did mention he couldn't figure out why the oven light kept coming on!

I had 2 quarts of yogurt milk. It was starting to thicken so I could have warmed the mix up to 185 degrees and made ricotta cheese, but I was up early to go riding, so I dumped it. I'm going to give it another go this evening although I am going to re-think my strategy for keeping it warm.

athomenow 10-22-2011 10:20 AM

My crock pot has a warm feature, would that work? I've never even thought about making yogurt since the 70's when it was popular with some of my hippie friends. Interesting idea though.

sparkys_mom 10-22-2011 12:41 PM

I just buy the plain Greek yogurt. I love it.

snipforfun 10-22-2011 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
I just buy the plain Greek yogurt. I love it.

I really like the costco brand (kirkland) of greek yogurt. A lot smoother than others Ive tried. I put a little agave syrup on it and its great.

itwrx4me 10-22-2011 05:59 PM

What a neat idea! I'll have to give this a try.

Lori S 10-22-2011 06:16 PM

I really like yogurt ! I may have to give this one a try. I do remember the 70's when they sold a special counter top unit for making your own ... it had 4 or 5 seperate cups that sat on a heated unit.

Quiltbeagle 10-22-2011 07:31 PM

Interesting. I'll have to see about trying this.

Quiltbeagle 10-22-2011 07:31 PM

Was a double post, sorry.

gale 10-22-2011 07:46 PM

Does the light really provide that much heat?

Margie 10-22-2011 08:17 PM

I bought a yogurt maker through Amazon.com. I love it. I bought the one that makes it in little jars. They are great to take out individually or use for cooking. Add fresh fruit or low sugar jelly/jam. I add dry milk powder to the milk to make it thicker, more like Greek yogurt.