Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Dear friend scammed by computer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dear-friend-scammed-computer-t279158.html)

mermaid 06-01-2016 03:32 AM

Dear friend scammed by computer

In spite of being 82 yr, I thought she was savvy. Said she was playing game on line, horrible loud noise from computer and message came up saying "for technical help-call,,,,." She DID! Foreigner sold her security pkg (yeah, sure) for $199. plus $99. tax. Said he would D/L to her computer. She pd w/credit card! I am so worried for her...all her dead husband's financial info on the computer--passwords to banks, etc. She says the noise panicked her and she could see red flags, but was so upset and frightened that she got suckered in.
When will people realize there is a cord on the back of their computer--just yank it from the wall! Go to a 'real' tech next day.
Her daughter learned of this next morning and canceled the card. But I fear that will not be the end of it.
Now what would have been your first clue that this was a scam?

jjs56 06-01-2016 04:24 AM

If I was 92, I would have done the same thing. If it happened to me, though, the first clue would have been the noise and the message. I would have shut down my computer and unplugged my router, but I worked for the government and am very security aware. I think, at the age of 92, she's doing great just being online! Does anyone ever "clean" her computer for her? Does she have an up to date virus protection? I hope she doesn't get scared away from the internet over this.

ManiacQuilter2 06-01-2016 05:22 AM

I would have shut down the computer by even pulling the plug and not use it until my best friend could come down and fix it. I want to know how they created a noise on her computer?? We just aren't safe any more, not even in our own home.

Sewnoma 06-01-2016 06:11 AM

Make sure she contacts the banks and changes all passwords that might be compromised! I also recommend that she contact the main credit bureaus and have them mark her file with a fraud warning. This fraud warning needs to be renewed every 90 days. Here is a link she can use for Equifax - they will forward the fraud warning to TransUnion and Experian as well (those are the 3 main consumer credit bureaus).

https://www.alerts.equifax.com/AutoF...fraudAlert.jsp

This will help prevent scammers from opening new credit under her name. I believe she can do the same for her late husband's info.

I work in a credit union and I see the fraud that comes in...it's rampant.

elnan 06-01-2016 06:48 AM

Sewnoma, it is so good of you to offer this advice in an organized note. Unfortunately, good people do not expect criminals to attack them through something so innocent as playing a game on the computer. I wonder if this type of activity has escalated since Chrome and Google dropped support for XP and Vista. Computers are still a mystery to me.

DOTTYMO 06-01-2016 10:42 PM

I'm surprised she continued following instructions. My 83 year old friend will only use sites her daughter and son put on for her and switches off after each use. With an iPad would the router have to be turned off and would the router need any other work done when you switch on? Only asking because more and more of us, have iPad or iPhone links.

cindyb 06-02-2016 04:30 AM

I'm not 83 and got totally scared while on this site. All of a sudden, loud sound and an urgent message taking up my whole screen saying a virus attacked my computer and it was getting all my private information - saying it was a 'windows alert' giving an 800 phone number to call (very convincing). I tried 'X'ing out of everything and could not get out of it - it would not go away. I got scared too, finally gave in to turning off my computer by the on/off button and unplugging it. I didn't touch it until the next day. Everything was fine. Wish the would leave us little guys alone!!!

mermaid 06-02-2016 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 7566107)
I'm surprised she continued following instructions. My 83 year old friend will only use sites her daughter and son put on for her and switches off after each use. With an iPad would the router have to be turned off and would the router need any other work done when you switch on? Only asking because more and more of us, have iPad or iPhone links.

With the PC turned off, there is no access to it by router. With router turned off, again, there is no access to PC. If iPad is turned on at time of attack, and wirelessly connects thru your router, I believe the same message would attack it. Simply turn off both appliances. Next time you turn on the PC, you might want to run a virus/malware scan..I'm not sure this would apply to the iPad tho. My PC stays on 24/7--so does my iPad--I've not been 'attacked' yet, but my 1st inclination would be to disconnect both.

MaggieLou 06-02-2016 06:15 AM

They pray on people's fears. Unfortunately, they know a lot of people will follow their instructions. I'm not that trusting. I've had my credit/debit cards and paypal hacked just in the past few months. I don't know where they got the card numbers. I don't keep them on file with any site. Thankfully, it didn't cost me any money but a lot of aggravation.

Material Witness 06-02-2016 01:07 PM

I got one like that last week. I panicked and shut it down before I even read the message! Took it to my computer guy first thing next morning, who found nothing. Whew!