Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Deer Season (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/deer-season-t76427.html)

CarrieAnne 11-15-2010 06:18 AM

I love the hamburger too. My favorite is the tenderlionson the grill though...........yum!!!!!!!!!!

redkimba 11-15-2010 06:37 AM

I love venison. I haven't been hunting in a couple of years & I'm starting to really miss it.

Quiltforme - what does bear taste like? (please don't say chicken)

countrymaid 11-15-2010 06:40 AM

I like to pressure can some. It's great for stew or meat and gravey over potatoes. It's great for a quick supper.

feline fanatic 11-15-2010 08:31 AM

I love deer meat but have no hunters in our family. DH and I are always talking about joining a rod and gun club so we can supplement our freezer with deer meat on our own. I am always on the lookout for friends who hunt who may be willing to share some. Unless it is the tenderloin, I like slow cooked or ground up. I made the most delicious sausage out of deer meat. I also make lots of slow cooked stewing type recipes with it. My two favorites are Venison Paprika and Venison Korma. Korma is an indian/pakistani dish normally made with lamb but substitute deer meat for the lamb and it is YUMMY. Deer meat stroganoff and of course deer stew. I also love love love deer meat jerky. Beef jerky doesn't hold a candle to venison jerky.

Rhonda 11-15-2010 09:27 AM

One year when my sister- in-law was pregnant she couldn't stand the smell of deer meat cooking. So they were moving and they gave us their freezer with the deer meat. My DD was about 14 and as I was working she cooked most meals. She made all sorts of differant meals with the deer. Her favorite was to dice the meat and make "beef tips with mushroom gravy"

hobo2000 11-15-2010 09:40 AM

All of my sons hunt, hubby and I used to, but too old now. They bring the ribs and I make bar-b-qued ribs, Love them. Love venison in any dish, so much better than store bought meat that has too much who knows what processed into it.

Momma_K 11-15-2010 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
I love deer meat but have no hunters in our family. DH and I are always talking about joining a rod and gun club so we can supplement our freezer with deer meat on our own. I am always on the lookout for friends who hunt who may be willing to share some. Unless it is the tenderloin, I like slow cooked or ground up. I made the most delicious sausage out of deer meat. I also make lots of slow cooked stewing type recipes with it. My two favorites are Venison Paprika and Venison Korma. Korma is an indian/pakistani dish normally made with lamb but substitute deer meat for the lamb and it is YUMMY. Deer meat stroganoff and of course deer stew. I also love love love deer meat jerky. Beef jerky doesn't hold a candle to venison jerky.

You're right about Deer Jerky! This is the right time of the season to start making it for Christmas! My grand children love the stuff, also my brother, my daughters, sisters and on and on ...
:D :D

annyroony2 11-15-2010 11:22 AM

I have deer hunters, but I don't cook it, and don't want to eat it. I have eaten it, but don't care for it now. I prefer beef, but really don't eat a lot of meat at all.

pookie ookie 11-15-2010 11:26 AM

Love it. Jerky was a childhood fave. We used to eat ox, deer, boar, rabbit and buffalo. Ah, the good old days.

mrsk 11-15-2010 11:36 AM

Been checking where everyone is from as I read your comments. I'm from central IL and the hunters are too many here! We have a hard time even finding ground here to hunt-everyone "saves" their ground for out-of-state high paying hunters! My family LOVES deer meat, and we also butcher and freeze all our own, when we get them, and also help several other people if they get a deer. My children don't even eat hamburgers at a resturaunt! they say those taste "funny"! We love wild turkey and dove too. We don't have the opportunity for much else, except maybe rabbit...