Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   DeFragging your computer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/defragging-your-computer-t161637.html)

nativetexan 10-19-2011 10:57 AM

How long does it usually take for your computer to DeFrag?
my HP Assistant program started that sometime after lunch yesterday and it was still going just before lunch today. That is hours too long to me. I don't really have all that much on my computer and this going on during the day is frustrating.

Helovesme 10-19-2011 11:00 AM

It all depends on how long it's been since the last time it was done.

It can take a few hours. :?

It sounds like it's hung up on something. I hate to say you could exit the defrag and begin it again before leaving your office today.

brushandthimble 10-19-2011 11:04 AM

mine needs to be done, but have no clue on how to go about it. Any suggestions? thanks

Helovesme 10-19-2011 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
mine needs to be done, but have no clue on how to go about it. Any suggestions? thanks

On your computer, got to Start, then click on All Programs, then click on Accessories, then System Tools then click on Disk Defragmenter and follow the prompts. Easy Peasy. But, could take awhile. Hope this helps.

QuiltnNan 10-19-2011 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Helovesme

Originally Posted by brushandthimble

On your computer, got to Start, then click on All Programs, then click on Accessories, then System Tools then click on Disk Defragmenter and follow the prompts. Easy Peasy. But, could take awhile. Hope this helps.

thanks, i didn't know where to find it either

Glassquilt 10-19-2011 12:56 PM

Took 19hours for SIL to defrag one. The owner had NEVER done any cleanup.
Forgot to add they had 3 children

plainpat 10-19-2011 01:01 PM

I'm on a MacBook & don't know if it needs to be defragged,let alone how to do it.

Murphy 10-19-2011 01:03 PM

Somethings wrong.

nativetexan 10-19-2011 01:20 PM

my husband always did it but now can't get downstairs very well. my HP Assistant program was doing the defrag but took soooo long. I've only had this new computer a year. you wouldn't think i had that much to go over.
I will start it again sometime.

Glassquilt 10-19-2011 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
my husband always did it but now can't get downstairs very well. my HP Assistant program was doing the defrag but took soooo long. I've only had this new computer a year. you wouldn't think i had that much to go over.
I will start it again sometime.

Whenever you save & re-save anything it's not saved exactly in order. For example:
page 1 is on your desk, at the bottom of the page it sends you to the kitchen for page 2
page 2 sends you to the bedroom for page 3
page 3 sends you to the basement for page 4
page 4 sends you to the attic
etc., etc., etc.

Now you defrag and all the pages are on your desk.
Which would be faster to read?