Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Diabetics--What do you cook? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/diabetics-what-do-you-cook-t46835.html)

kygirl 05-23-2010 11:25 AM

I'm a diabetic also, and I love pasta. I always use whole wheat pasta and breads. Brown rice and cooked meats, cooked anything. Never have white potatoes, only red or sweet potatoes. Still use the old sweet-n-low sweetener. My biggest vice is I'm addicted to diet sodas, allergic to water, I tells myself.

purplemem 05-23-2010 01:20 PM

I eat frozen berries for my sweet tooth. I pour a cup of them (while frozen) into a bowl, and microwave for 1 minute. This keeps them cold, but thawed. Sometimes I pour a half cup milk and a sweetnlow over them. It really helps me with the craving for ice cream.

Also, Breyers has a "carbcontrol" chocolate ice cream that is really good. That's my other splurge.

Lisa 05-23-2010 01:58 PM

Can you tell me where this is in Walmart and about how much it cost, I wanna try it! Thanks for the info

ragqueen03 05-23-2010 02:14 PM

i am also diabetic. luckily i have not had too much problems with it. basically i just watch what i eat. one thing i swear helped me to lose weight and help my blood sugar was Vitamin Water Zero Calorie lemon. Couldn't find it for a long time but now have no problem finding it. To me it tastes really good but more importantly it has zinc and magnesium in it which is good for diabetics. i try to limit myself to one a day or one every other day because of the cost. You can usually find it at walmart for around 1.25 for a 20 oz bottle but when it is 1.00 a bottle i tend to stock up!

Rhonda 05-23-2010 02:30 PM

Thanks everyone! Lots of good ideas. My biggest problem is exercising! I know I need to but I get up and sit down at the comp in the mornings and then sew off and on and off and on the comp all day so I don't get up and do as much as I should. I know if I watch what I eat and get some exercise it will help my health. Now to get motivated! LOL

I do appreciate all the ideas. I am always looking for new ideas and new ways to fix good food. I found these Steamers recently and we both like those alot. They are easy to use and great vegetables in them. We love broccoli and the California blend veggies.

sunflower126 05-23-2010 05:44 PM

What can you suggest for breakfast? Eggs are time consuming and of course they say not to eat more than 3 a week-I think. I love english muffins or bagels. I have found 100 calerie bagels, they are thin and I like those but they still have 21g of carbs. I can do without cereal although in the winter I eat oatmeal every morning.

JanetM 05-23-2010 06:09 PM

I use Basmati rice which has a much lower glycemic index than white rice and also like rye bread, again because of the low glycemic index. Also, lots of fresh veggies.

I get the Basmati rice at Costco-it's white (ivory) in color, and very easy to cook. 1 3/4 C water to 1 cup of rice. Rinse the rice well, bring the water and rice to a boil. Cover and remove from heat. It is ready in 20min.

RedGarnet222 05-23-2010 06:18 PM

Here is a link to the cook books that amazon has. The american diabetes cookbook is VERY good.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...20cook%20books

We originally were signed up with the glucomenu.com for a year and that taught us how to cook for hubby. It is very good and we can reccommend it highly. I printed up a book of a years worth of recipes and that is what we use now. The only thing I will say is, the baking recipes suck, just buy the product they want you to eat, or get a good mix. Trust me on this. Otherwise it is a great mix of recipes and very little repeats.

All that being said, the exercise is very important to the whole management of the diabetes.

Rhonda 05-23-2010 06:25 PM

I have 2 slices of toast with peanut butter for breakfast alot. I like oatmeal with cinnamon and sugar so I substitute Splenda for the sugar. I also eat eggs. There is so much differing info about eggs. They are 45 cal with no carbs. I cook 2 eggs sunny side up and have 2 slices of bread(not butter or anything on them) with the eggs. I cut up the eggs and crumble the bread into the eggs. My grandma did this for me as a child and I still make it.

My grands love french toast so I do make french toast when they are here. I use a sugar free syrup but I only dip the french toast fingers into the syrup and only just use enough to taste. Not drench it.

Just because it says sugar free you still have to watch for sugar alcohols. Too much of anything with sugar alcohols and you will be spending too much time in the bathroom!! Plus the sugar alcohols are still sugars.

You could do whole wheat pancakes and use a sugar free jelly for the topping. I use regular strawberry jelly but I just skimp on the amt I use as I prefer the real thing but I don't use alot of it. Just enough to taste.

BellaBoo 05-23-2010 06:32 PM

The Agave Nectar at Walmart is about $6 or less for the bigger bottle. Sometimes they have different size bottles. It's hard to find because the stockers have no idea what it is and will stick it in odd places.