Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Did anyone feel the earth move last night?? 3/28 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/did-anyone-feel-earth-move-last-night-3-28-a-t244114.html)

yngldy 03-29-2014 11:39 AM

I live in the Norco/Corona area, but only felt the bigger one. Never felt any of the prior/aftershocks. Nothing fell, but the ceiling fan swayed. (Probably 15-20 miles from center.) It sure was a long one! We debated whether we should get to a doorway or just stay in bed. Just about that time it ended.

Was the older "Lady Seismologist" they interviewed the same one who used to bring her kids to the briefings?

Jan in VA 03-29-2014 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 6650139)
There have been two earthquakes mentioned on CNN this past week. I live near Temecula, just north of San Diego. I was surprised that I felt the second quake that happened last night since I didn't feel the first one. I did wonder what I should do as I laid in bed since I am on the 1st floor of a two story apartment. YIKES !! :)

RUN, you silly girl!! Don't get squashed!

I'm telling you, I've been following these quakes because I'm on the email contact list for the USGeologicalSurvey site, and I'm SO wishing my daughter and grandson would get the heck outta the LA area and move here or to Colorado for her to teach. Makes me crazy! That and tornados -- years in Texas in the spring/summer. Ugh. :shock:

Now I gotta worry about you too?? Grief.:(

Jan in VA

jclinganrey 03-29-2014 11:48 AM

I live in north Orange County and yes, I felt the 5.3 earthquake as well as several of the aftershocks. According to the news, the 5.3 was actually an aftershock!!!

I'm as prepared as I can be.

Jane

quiltingcandy 03-29-2014 11:58 AM

My husband and I did not feel the quakes but our daughter that lives in El Cajon did. She is in a 2 story condo and it shook her. But we are in a single story house.

yngldy 03-29-2014 01:53 PM

Another 4.5 just hit about 20 min ago. Wasn't sure if I was just dizzy or if it was a quake. Had to look it up to see.

DOTTYMO 03-29-2014 02:01 PM

Never felt an earthquake but have felt the earthmove beneath me.
Come on ladies I'm sure you know what I mean.

yngldy 03-29-2014 02:04 PM

Another 4.5 just hit about 20 min ago. Wasn't sure if I was just dizzy or if it was a quake. Had to look it up to see.

Jingle 03-29-2014 05:05 PM

Didn't feel anything in the midwest.

Jim's Gem 03-29-2014 09:54 PM

The epicenter was a block from my daughter's home. My poor 2 3/4 yo grandson has been terrified all day. he was up all night and felt every aftershock. apparently several things fell from his closet shelves. Their bedrooms are on the second floor and so they feel the shaking more up there. Poor Isaac won't even go into his room!

Lady Diana 03-30-2014 05:51 AM

I know all of you Californians are used to earthquakes...or maybe not. Every time I have traveled to southern California....about 9-10 times, I have felt tremors....still earthquakes. The first time in a hotel, things vibrated on the end table next to my bed. Another time I was walking on the beach...the birds were flying all around and I felt pressure in the air...sounds silly...but a passerby said that was a little one........The other time, I was actually talking with John Wayne and his nurse, walking in the secluded small community in Newport Beach. He too, said "small disturbance". Being from Texas, I will never get used to the earth shuttering....now we are having them in North Texas. Everyone here is blaming them on the natural gas well drilling. The shale is very porous and layered in thin layers. When they take out the oil and gas, the layers shift...so they say. We have had several tremors over 4.0 in the last year. Nothing we can do about them...just hope we don't have any caverns that open up. I would be more concerned of sink holes as in Florida than the earth just shuttering..My prayers are with all of our California friends.