Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Did you watch NCIS last night? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/did-you-watch-ncis-last-night-t91916.html)

raptureready 01-19-2011 09:08 AM

Bob Newhart played Ducky's predecessor. He was suffering from a form of dementia and the agents made a slide show about his life to help him remember the people in his past.

Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing to do for loved ones that are developing signs of that disease? Only print the pictures and names off and make a quilt for them? Pictures that said, "My daughter, Janie" or "My husband, Don" or even "My dog, Jasper."

That's what I was thinking about while I watched the show and just thought I'd share.

Maggiesmom 01-19-2011 09:12 AM

I think that is a great idea. A real memory quilt.

dakotamaid 01-19-2011 09:51 AM

My dad is in a home for severe dementia and we made him a scrap book with all of us kids, the grands, old friends, even many of mom, especially when they were younger. Many of the pics were of us when we were younger as that is how he seems to remember us. When we go to visit he always has that book out for us to look at with him. BTW, he is 98 and has had a full rich life. He was at one time the oldest, still licensed pilot in his home state.

svenskaflicka1 01-19-2011 09:55 AM

there is a performer/participant from the minnesota renaissance festival who is having extremely rapid memory loss, and he is a young man--possibly in his early 40s. the group has started a face page for him and his family, with photos, quotes, stories, etc. for him--much like the NCIS crew did. i think it is one of the nicest and best efforts i've ever seen. and the quilt idea would be wonderful--both memories, and something tangible to go with them--comfort that can be held and touched.

Originally Posted by raptureready
Bob Newhart played Ducky's predecessor. He was suffering from a form of dementia and the agents made a slide show about his life to help him remember the people in his past.

Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing to do for loved ones that are developing signs of that disease? Only print the pictures and names off and make a quilt for them? Pictures that said, "My daughter, Janie" or "My husband, Don" or even "My dog, Jasper."

That's what I was thinking about while I watched the show and just thought I'd share.

amandasgramma 01-19-2011 10:09 AM

I thought it was a great idea, too. I thought Bob Newhart did a GREAT job acting (I sure hope it wasn't HIM!). I miss seeing him on tv! It was a sad but good show.

kbs 01-19-2011 10:23 AM

It was sad but I'm glad these shows use their popularity to showcase these issues. Some TV is so stupid there is nothing to gain from watching.

blzzrdqueen 01-19-2011 10:37 AM

I just saw this show for the very first time this week, catching reruns on USA...watched the new episode last night and it made me cry!

SO far I love the show, and am looking forward to catching up!

purplemem 01-19-2011 11:11 AM

I do NOT miss this show! It is my Tuesday night date!
I thought the episode was exceptional. Bob Newhart is one of the best actors around, and I have truly missed his dry sense of humor. I tape the episodes on USA and the marathons and have my own NCIS marathon when I can't sleep. :oops:

scowlkat 01-19-2011 02:01 PM

I am a fanatic about this show! My husband usually has control of the remote - with my blessing! - but even he knows that Tuesday is my night! I was the same way with ER (one of the greatest shows ever) and don't know what I will do if NCIS ever stops!

tealady 01-19-2011 03:47 PM

that would be a great thing to do for someone .