Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Which direction to lay hardwood floors? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/direction-lay-hardwood-floors-t220229.html)

Stitchit123 04-29-2013 03:28 AM

I've lived in more houses with real hard wood floors then carpet and even the house I live in now is over 100 yrs old and the planks run from the front of the house to the back. So if that inset in your drawing -area without lines- is the houses front door then drawing B would be the correct plan

marymay 04-29-2013 03:33 AM

When we had our Bambo flooring done we used your plan A. That's the way they put it in. If it is done right you will not have any dirt in between the cracks. they are all sealed.

kydeb 04-29-2013 04:45 AM

We've built 2 houses with hardwood floors. The boards should run opposite of the floor joists for structural reasons. It may not be the way you think looks best - but it will be the best in the long run!

tessagin 04-29-2013 05:55 AM

Placing the boards in a linear fashion give the rooms length. The rest of the rooms should be the same. It's ok for the hall to look like a bowling alley. Most halls are long and that is usually how most people want. Just make sure the rest of the rooms follow suit.

catmcclure 04-29-2013 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by CindyA (Post 6032265)
My sister is coming to help me install a new floor in a bedroom, either a Pergo type floor, or possibly hardwood. If we're successful I want to do the entire house. I've always had wall to wall carpet. Which directions should the planks go, Plan A or Plan B? I think it should be Plan A, but won't that make the hall look like a bowling alley?

It depends on which way the light from the windows hits the floors. I prefer that the boards don't run the same way as the light source. For some reason this shows ALL the imperfections - and there will be one or two.

AZ Jane 04-29-2013 07:07 AM

You want to lay your floor in such a way as to have the fewest cuts. If that is the case, you must take into consideration the size of the rooms and the length of the boards.

Friday1961 04-29-2013 08:07 AM

We did ours like Plan A -- wide beveled plank laminate and it still looks great -- and has not come apart -- after 4 years. We, too, have a long hallway and I worried, like you, about the planks going lengthwise. But it looks right and -- by the way -- is much faster and cheaper (no waste).

So: Plan A, imho.

roguequilter 04-29-2013 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 6032396)
I agree with this also. Another thing is if you lay the boards like they are going in example A it gives the appearance that the room is bigger.

that is what i thought too. had a professional do my living room floor. he said by laying the boards cross way of the length of room, 12' x 17', it gives illusion of being larger. he convinced me, i let him do it his way --- he was right. my little living room seems larger as i walk in and the boards are in direction away from me -- crossways of the 12' foot width. i love it.

Slow2Sew 04-29-2013 10:15 AM

Not sure where you enter the house. We laid our planks vertical to the front door to give a more expansive look when you are entering the house. That meant the planks in the hallway had to be horizontal, but after seeing the layout from the front door, that's still what I preferred.

Pieces2 04-30-2013 04:36 AM

Hardwood flooring has to be laid ACROSS the floor joints so you can nail into them.