Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   dishware suggestions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dishware-suggestions-t119185.html)

MaryStoaks 04-27-2011 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by amma
My Mom's Corelle was over 40 years old, no chips, knicks or stains, they still looked brand new. I left them with my nephew, he will probably get another 40+ years out of them :D:D:D

My Corelle is over 35 years old and it's still new looking. I recently bought my DIL service for 12 (on sale). She loves it, it stands up to kids and is lighter than her old dishes. If my boys couldn't ruin it I know it's good. :thumbup: :thumbup:

emerald46 04-27-2011 12:15 PM

This just boggles my mind! I thought my sister was the only one who loves Corelle! I'll leave her and her thin 25 yr old dishes alone now. I like big heavy plates, bowls and pretty cups! So I am of no help here.

jdiane318 04-27-2011 12:18 PM

Sometimes, the water in your area is hard, and you may need a water softener to allow the detergent to do it's job. Or you might need a rinse agent.

Kat Sews 04-27-2011 12:39 PM

I love my corele dishes. The set I had before was in the house when it burned. Fire was hot enough to melt Pyrex baking pans, but most of the plates survived.

annyroony2 04-27-2011 12:49 PM

I love my corelle! And it is not 35 years old......when we built our house and moved 10 years ago.....I wanted to start over so I did away with the dishes I had and started buying white corelle. I still love it and it is still white as snow.I like that you can buy the pieces separately as well, different size bowls, small plates, large plates, etc. LOVE IT.

Pam B 04-27-2011 12:59 PM

I had Pfaltzgraff and noticed the same thing. I guess it really did not bother me that much...however, I did not have white dishes. I gave that set to our son when he moved out. I hate to put alot of money into dishes...I'd rather buy cheaper and be able to get new sets when the mood strikes me! My MIL had Corelle...she really liked it.

quilt1950 04-27-2011 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by jdiane318
Sometimes, the water in your area is hard, and you may need a water softener to allow the detergent to do it's job. Or you might need a rinse agent.

Hmmmm - I have Corelle, and the flowers are almost worn off. Very faded. I'm blaming the water softener!

Janetlmt 04-27-2011 01:09 PM

Try a magic eraser on your dishes..that might get the marks out.
I have white dishes that I got at Kohls. Between my hubby and mother they have broken several. I was thinking about getting fiestaware..love the colors!

Radiana 04-27-2011 01:16 PM

I'm a Corelle girl myself. I know there are other dishes that are prettier but the feel of the Corelle ware does it for me. I have three different sets all mixed together,,,,,,the blue roses, the tiny blue flowers and the navy blue fings. I like that they are so lightweight and don't make a lot of noise and they dry so quickly in the dish drainer.

Maride 04-27-2011 01:20 PM

Maybe you need new silverware.