Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   dishwasher trouble shooting advice-black gummy spots (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/dishwasher-trouble-shooting-advice-black-gummy-spots-t214531.html)

IBQUILTIN 02-24-2013 09:46 AM

It sounds to me like you have some sort of bearing that has grease in it that has gone awry. Probably going to need a repair man. Sorry

tenngal 02-24-2013 01:18 PM

I put a cup of cider vinegar in mine once a month and recently was told that the Oxy-Clean Dishwasher Booster was also good.

KLO 02-24-2013 04:46 PM

I have not had this problem but I did find that when I took a paper towel and ran it across the bottom hinge area of the door/unit, it came up black! So, I wipe all the rubber door seals down until no more black. Just wondered if your rubber door seal could be falling apart?

KarenR 02-24-2013 04:54 PM

I have no idea what it could be.

I do use a dishwasher cleaner at least once a month. I use the one that is in a square bottle that has a wax plug that melts when the dishwasher is ran.

Also- those packs plugged up my dishwasher. I only use liquid and crystals ---- NO PACKS.

I use Lime-Shine in every load and Cascade complete. Yes it cost more but cheaper than replacing the dishwasher. Had to do that a year ago.

Rose_P 02-24-2013 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN (Post 5884839)
It sounds to me like you have some sort of bearing that has grease in it that has gone awry. Probably going to need a repair man. Sorry

Since that stuff is obviously not food residue it may be harmful to people's health - even the molecules of it that are not visible.

Another thought is that the bearings are there for a reason, and if you keep running it without getting it fixed, it might cause further damage. Gaskets are seals, and when they're gone in a dishwasher, obviously water is getting in where it shouldn't. I'm thinking rust and decay.

I'm inclined to worry excessively, but I would definitely get this problem solved and forget using the dishwasher until it is.

charity-crafter 02-25-2013 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P (Post 5886310)
....I'm inclined to worry excessively, but I would definitely get this problem solved and forget using the dishwasher until it is.

LOL, I'm just the opposite, if I ignore it long enough it will go away.

charity-crafter 02-25-2013 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by KarenR (Post 5885698)
I do use a dishwasher cleaner at least once a month. I use the one that is in a square bottle that has a wax plug that melts when the dishwasher is ran.

Where do you find dishwasher cleaner? I checked while I was out over the weekend and didn't find it in the grocery store.

homebody323 02-25-2013 05:39 AM

I can't help your problem, but appreciate all the comments on newer dishwashers. I haven't had one for a long time and considered putting one in recently when we removed a section of cabinet that would allow for one. We had pretty much decided that it was going to be replaced with drawers, you confirmed our decision. Thanks

Pat M. 02-25-2013 01:50 PM

Buy a 8oz.-12oz. jar of TANG, use the whole jar, just dump it into the dishwasher and run a cycle. If it is the gasket you will probably have water leaks and I would guess you would see the water on the floor.

charity-crafter 02-27-2013 09:47 AM

They still make Tang?

Well, anyway, I washed with 2 cups of white vinegar 2 times and it seems to be clean now. It's not throwing any stange gummy spots any longer. I may just start doing that periodically.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.