Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you babysit your grandchildren? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-babysit-your-grandchildren-t88010.html)

Gabrielle's Mimi 01-05-2011 09:35 PM

I have been retired from teaching for 7 years and have been loving my freedom. I quilt til 2 in the morning, read whenever, make trips to my LQS, teach quilting classes, do some volunteer work, etc. You get the picture. Well, a darling little girl came into my life...our first grandchild, and my heart just melted. I am now taking care of her full-time for the next 4 mos. as her mom just went back to work after 3 mos. We've decided on 4 mos. with an option to renew if everyone feels that it is working out. I offered to do this, and feel privileged to be able to, but I can see that I am not getting any quilting done (or much of anything else for that matter!). I want to be able to quilt more but she is not a good sleeper. How many of you watch your grandchildren? How do you manage your time? Are you glad that you are doing it or is it too much for you? I adore this baby and am so glad she is with me and not a babysitter but I guess (in typical revisionist history style) I forgot how much work infants are and that they don't sleep all the time!!!! Anyway, I wouldn't trade this time with her for anything else in the world.

sewwhat85 01-05-2011 09:43 PM

i watched my first granddaughter for 6 weeks and loved every colicky minute of it dd is stay at home mom now didnt get to watch my grandson really missed that bonding time.

trisha 01-05-2011 09:52 PM

14 years ago my grandson was born, and my daughter was a single mom age 23 and whole family lived together. I took care of him when she worked, DH took care of him when I worked, she took care of him the rest of the time. It was a wonderful experience, but I never was able to get anything else done. But they are babies for such a short time, enjoy her now and bond, you will both be better for it. Ours has always been close, but of course he is growing up now and we don't see as much of him, even tho he lives down the street, but I still cherish everyn minute I have with him. Maybe down the road you and your DD can compromise. You have her a few days a week and a sitter or daycare has her a couple of days a week. That way you don't have to give up all of your activities, but can still have her with you.

bakermom 01-06-2011 01:16 AM

i'm the emergency babysitter. I love gks but i also have a fulltime job and help care for my elderly mother.I always tell the kids, i'll do anything i can to help you, BUT I raised my kids, you need to raise yours.

Juliebelle 01-06-2011 04:26 AM

We are the back ups for our grandson, DD just went back to work full time in September after being home with him for 3 years, during that time we got to spend a lot more time with them. He is now 5 and loves his school but I do miss seeing him almost every day.

mic-pa 01-06-2011 04:27 AM

When our first grandchild was born, her mother was a single mom and not responsible. But she did work full time. I worked also, so I took full responsibility for our granddaughter an she lived with us until she was 4 1/2yrs old. Yes, I gave up a lot, hired a womam to watch her when I worked, my DH also helped and I did not get much else done. But she is 28 yrs old now and that bond we have will always be there. By the way, my DD got married and her husband said he would raise our GD as his and he did. It was hard to let her go. You won't regret doing this

reneebobby 01-06-2011 04:33 AM

LMAO I'm sorry I'm laughing but I'm in the same boat (sorta) I work full time, have the grandbaby Friday till Sunday afternoon, and no time to sew. I was in the boomerang 3.0 and well, didn't get my blocks done on time let alone make it here. I did manage to finish them when I was on vacation but got nothing else done around the how of dust bunnies. I also forgot how much work they are and demanding they can be, I wouldn't trade it in but I'm looking forward to the day that I can do what I want to do again. But on the bright side (since you don't have to think to much and easier to pick back up) is I crocheted a ton of potholders (that is what the family says they are) and taught myself how to knit. Well good luck grandma and enjoy we all know how fast they grow up.

donnataylorsmith 01-06-2011 04:53 AM

I kept my grandson for 15 months while his mother and father (both in the Army) were deployed to Iraq. I loved it. He was a wonderful three year old, but I didn't get much quilting done. He did go to bed at 8:00, so sometimes, if not exhausted, would do a little sewing. Wouldn't trade that time with him for all the tea in China. We have a special bond - he just turned 6.

mltquilt 01-06-2011 05:18 AM

Grandkids are old enough not to need a sitter, 23, 20. 18, 14, 12, and 11. That being said we do have a beautiful great granddaughter that is 5 months old. I took care of her while Mom was in school last semester and full time when she got a job. Didn't get much done but that was because all I wanted to do was hold her and rock her. GD said I spoiled her to being rocked to sleep. I do miss her now and said I'd take care of her if she was sick and day care would not take her.

mltquilt

SherriB 01-06-2011 06:23 AM

I have had the privelege, (to me, it is) of watching my precious grandbabies since they were born. I gave up my full-time job and went to part-time and now PRN to be able to watch my babies and also for our youngest DD, who is only 15.

With DGD, I was able to sew, cook, and do most anything. She was, and still is, easy to occupy and seldom seemed to get into messes. But DGS is another story!! LOL!! He is into everything! Nothing escapes his bright and inquisitive eyes and mind. I can't get a thing done when he is awake. But that is okay. He is growing up so fast, just like his sister, mommy and auntie did. I treasure all their silly messes. In a few short years, they will become treasured memories to look back on.

I know that there are some wonderful babysitters and daycares out there. But I am so happy to know that my babies and grandbabies were with people who love and adore them. My Mom watched my two DD's while DH and I worked when they were little. And I hope when the time comes for our youngest DD to have a family, that I can also babysit her children.