Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you cook or zap? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-cook-zap-t42772.html)

fabric-holic 04-14-2010 09:41 PM

I've been an empty nester for 17 years now and I've pretty much given up cooking. I'll zap things in the microwave or order take out but I just don't cook anymore. I know it's healthier to cook my own food etc. But it's difficult to cook for one. And I hate leftovers.
With everyone so busy these days and with so many convenience foods available, I was wondering how many of you still really cook?

sharon b 04-14-2010 09:47 PM

I am almost an empty nester also , my older son still lives at home but he works midnights and goes to school full time, so we don't see each other very much :? So I grab whatever , whenever :oops: I might cook once or twice a week . I wish food came packaged for one as I don't like leftovers so much either

Chasing Hawk 04-14-2010 10:53 PM

I cook from scratch. I zap popcorn and steam veggies in the microwave.

amma 04-14-2010 11:09 PM

I cook and then freeze enough for 3-4 meals in individual servings... usually the meat and a sauce or gravy. Then I can zap a potato and veggies to go with it. I even cook noodles in the microwave LOL I will make soups and stews in the crock pot and freeze the left overs too. I don't like to cook for just myself, so I figure it is either make a bunch and freeze extra or live off of sandwiches LMBO

I bought a George Foreman grill and use it a lot, it cooks fast. By the time the meat is done, so are my potatoes and veggies.

If I make a soup, I will add different herbs to each freezer container to change it up a little. I do the same thing when I heat up the soup that I don't freeze, so that I can have it 3 days in a row, but each meal tastes different.

I will make enough rice for a couple of meals, the same with noodles. I just thaw two different containers and mix up the second one with the rice or noodles for the next day.

amma 04-14-2010 11:12 PM

I also have some small glass casserole dishes. I will cut up a potato, add some frozen veggies, left over meat, pour a table spoon of olive oil over it, toss in some herbs/seasonings and microwave it.

MegsAnn 04-14-2010 11:57 PM

I do both. When I cook, I make enough for my hubby and I to eat 3-4 meals. We eat a lot of leftovers that way which gets boring, but it make it so I don't have to cook daily and we don't resort to fast food or grocery convenience meals, which are always more expensive.

fun2quilt 04-15-2010 02:25 AM

We have been empty nesters for a couple of years now, and I still cook dinner every night. Took a long time to down size on the amount to fix, but I have finally figured it out. If there are leftovers, they work great for DH's lunches. Just don't like cooking for one. Now, what to cook tonite?????

watterstide 04-15-2010 02:29 AM

i cook everyday during the week...and i don't cook on the weekends...he is on his own!
i do love to use my crockpot i think it is a quilters notion!
we love leftovers here..

Pam 04-15-2010 03:27 AM

I LOVE to cook! I make about 3 big meals a week and we live off from leftovers. Hubby likes to cook, too, but he is messy. You may have seen pic of my dirty kitchen he left for me.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 04-15-2010 03:32 AM

I cook one big meal almost every day. I like to cook and my husband likes to eat, so it makes us both happy. He is a fun man to feed because he will try anything and always appreciates a good meal.

I'm not sure I'd cook nearly as often just for myself. Cooking for yourself doesn't sound like nearly as much fun.