Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you cover your thread rack? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-cover-your-thread-rack-t144484.html)

mic-pa 08-12-2011 02:18 AM

Mine is all in clear plasic thread boxes that I purchased at Joann's.

Rose L 08-12-2011 02:22 AM

I just finally got all my thread onto racks. I don't have them covered yet but plan to. I've been looking for ways to do this effectively myself. I'll keep watching for more ideas.

ljptexas 08-12-2011 05:18 AM

I have just the thing!! Protects from dust & still able to see colors. Take a sandwich bag, slip over cone, measure on 2 sides where to sew, stitch with very small stitch, cut off to exact height on bottom.

Hope this is explained well enough.

Enjoy...

:thumbup: :thumbup:

ljptexas 08-12-2011 05:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have just the thing!! Protects from dust & still able to see colors. Take a sandwich bag, slip over cone, measure on 2 sides where to sew, stitch with very small stitch, cut off to exact height on bottom.

Enjoy...

Sorry it's posted twice & pic is so big. Not good at this.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]240460[/ATTACH]

noveltyjunkie 08-12-2011 05:22 AM

I keep my thread in a box. Works for me.

Jim's Gem 08-12-2011 09:27 AM

My thread is stored in cases. I don't want them to get all dusty!

JeannieT 08-12-2011 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by ljptexas

Enjoy...

this is a great idea but I don't want to sew 60 bags!! I wonder if someone sells tiny little bags like that.....hmmmm, may have to do some research.Thanks for the idea.

JeannieT 08-12-2011 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by sak658
I took an extra quilt block that my mom had made and stripped around it with muslin and covered my thread holders .I attached ribbon at the top corners and tied a bow. Sweet memories of my mom.. I did not realize how dusty thread can get till I looked at it all one day, and wow...had to unwind the top layer..and cut it.

I love this idea......I could even make something that coordinates with my studio colors!!

JudyTheSewer 08-12-2011 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by ljptexas

Enjoy...

Very Clever!

TonnieLoree 08-12-2011 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by JanTx
NEVER thought about this! My sewing room is supposed to be the dining room (no one has been clear-the-table worthy in quite some time). My thread holder is sitting on the hutch top - not quite out in the open. I have a recent project in front of it - hanging from a clothes hanger hooked on the cabinet door. Is that enough? (It's not there as a dust cover - just there cause it was a place to put it!)

I like this! I never thought about covering my thread. Hanging a WIP in front is an excellent thought! :-D