Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you donate around Christmas? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-donate-around-christmas-t82126.html)

Flying_V_Goddess 12-11-2010 11:14 AM

Do you donate money, food, presents, or time to organizations who help needy families around Christmas time?

We have a group called Project Christmas that donates food and presents to families around Christmas. This year I donated $20 and this Tuesday I'm going to the armory to wrap presents that are going to be sent out (employees can volunteer towards and effort and Wal-Mart will give a check if so many hours are met and the amount depends on how many total hours were volunteered). Our family doesn't have a lot of money and Project Christmas has sent my family food every year since I was little so I felt like giving back.

bearisgray 12-11-2010 11:14 AM

:thumbup:

erstan947 12-11-2010 11:18 AM

It is always wonderful when we can give back. I don't know many people that have not had help of one kind of another. We have that's for sure. If I see a need that I can meet, I love doing my part. Christmas is a time of giving (not getting). You have inspired me to give as I have been given. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Ramona Byrd 12-11-2010 11:19 AM

Yes, and a lot of our blood donors are also bringing in unused jackets for the local Coats for Kids drive, and also donating lots of toys for kids in need, the number of them seems to grow each year. And on our local Free Cycle more than one woman has asked for toys for her kids since she can barely feed them.
Sad, we can't help them all but as many as we can.

Painiacs 12-11-2010 11:26 AM

I try to help yr round where ever I can whatever I can!!!
God Bless and Merry Christmas!

Chickerson 12-11-2010 11:27 AM

Yes, we support our local Coalition for the Homeless monthly throughout the year and another local food bank. Our guild supports two children and women's charities monthly and of course church. I can't resist the Bell Ringers bucket and we've had have the boy and cub scouts drop by several time collecting. I also believe our mail man collects cans next week.
With so many opportunties I'm hoping many will have a blessed Christmas.
Carolyn

bearisgray 12-11-2010 11:28 AM

I put some money in the Salvation Army bucket so I can walk by them for the rest of the season without feeling guilty.

Gramof6 12-11-2010 11:31 AM

Yes I sure do! And it feels wonderful to know that you are doing something to help someone.

A lovely young woman here founded "The Art of Encouragement" in 2008. She asked for people to sign Christmas Cards thanking Veterans for their service. With the help of donations & her saving coins, she is mailing out 10,000 Christmas Cards to Veteran Hosp. around the U.S. Every Vet at the hosp. will recieve a Card on Christmas morning with their breakfast. Amazing I think. SO this year I bought & signed 125 Cards & donated for some postage. I also donate to Toys for Tots & a few toys to go to an Orphanage here in Oklahoma. I would give more if I had it to give.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 12-11-2010 11:32 AM

Yep,a little of this and that, thru out the year, needs don't just stop at Christmas. :)

lalaland 12-11-2010 11:47 AM

Our school participates in an Adopt-A-Family program through the local shelter for battered and abused women and children. We always ask for a large family. I make fleece blankets for everyone in the family and then usually give each member a gift card.