Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you ever feel blue for no reason at all? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-ever-feel-blue-no-reason-all-t134863.html)

oma66 07-04-2011 08:13 AM

Count your blessings - one by one - and your spirits will be lifted in no time. Sound too simple? It is simple, but it works every time.

On the physically end, my friend was found to have a chemical imbalance and as soon as that was taken care of with meds she never experienced those kinds of blues again.

Stitchit123 07-04-2011 08:25 AM

First thing to do is SMILE -its very contagious it lightens your heart -- I look at the blues as Our Father kicking us in the butt to remind us of all the wonderful things he's given us....If you must dwell on some thing Dwell on the positives.. Positives always out weigh the negatives :-) :-) :-) and pass them on

Yooper32 07-04-2011 08:35 AM

I am eons past menopause, but on occasion, I have a real "pity party", all by myself. I think it flushes out the bad and when it is over, it is over...until next time. All in all, I have much to be greatful for and must reinforce that thought at times.

Calico Grammy 07-04-2011 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Amythyst02

Originally Posted by Tartan
On those occasions I sing my favourite songs. Since I am usually by myself, I can belt out a tune at the top of my lungs and sometimes (don't tell anyone) I've been known to shake my booty along with the singing. Make sure the drapes are closed and it's not time for the mailman to come by. :lol:

This comment is great, and it certainly brought a smile to my face!!!

ME TOO! Still laughing!

Farm Quilter 07-04-2011 08:55 AM

Yep! I give myself 15 minutes to dwell on any and all "awfuls" in my life, then I have to spend 15 minutes focusing on all that is wonderful in my life. Rarely can I find enough "awfuls" to fill that 15 minutes (March was an "awful" month, my mom died unexpectedly and 2 weeks later I put my daughter on a plane for deployment to Afghanistan - and I was house/pet sitting for daughter in Florida instead of being home in Washington), and my time runs out before I get through all the wonderfuls. If this goes on for more than a week, I would suggest you talk to your doctor about it...maybe there is something little you can change that will help, either diet, exercise or medication short-term.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))) )))))))

JudieRQuilting 07-04-2011 11:05 AM

I frequently have to deal with such feelings. Holidays are always a bit difficult, for some reason. The main thing I have learned is not to "fight" it. I now can simply say to myself, "Oh, it's a blue day. Guess I'll pamper myself a little bit." Or, I always find it helpful to do something special for someone else so I'm not focusing so much on how I feel.

I hope that helps.

cbpirate 07-04-2011 11:41 AM

"It's all in your head" or "just snap out of it" were all told to me when I had major depression. had to use meds to pull out, and still do, but seasonal affective disorder is another story. I have found that vitamin D3 is a big help. most people north of the very southern part of the US generally do not get enough sunlight and can benefit greatly from extra, specially during the winter months. Here on the oregon coast, dr.s say to take it all the time, especially if you tend to be depressed. It has also been suggested for diabetes and to help keep some cancers away. Our south coast is notorious for big numbers of both. we are always under a cloud of either fog or salt laden atmosphere to keep the best sunlight away. It may be worth a try.

cbpirate 07-04-2011 11:42 AM

"It's all in your head" or "just snap out of it" were all told to me when I had major depression. had to use meds to pull out, and still do, but seasonal affective disorder is another story. I have found that vitamin D3 is a big help. most people north of the very southern part of the US generally do not get enough sunlight and can benefit greatly from extra, specially during the winter months. Here on the oregon coast, dr.s say to take it all the time, especially if you tend to be depressed. It has also been suggested for diabetes and to help keep some cancers away. Our south coast is notorious for big numbers of both. we are always under a cloud of either fog or salt laden atmosphere to keep the best sunlight away. It may be worth a try.

quilter1943 07-04-2011 11:51 AM

go to your health food store or try Puritans on line and get a good - 100 mg - B complex vitamin supplement. Keeps me going and I have my daughter on one as well. Gives you energy and keeps your spirits up.

suzanprincess 07-04-2011 11:52 AM

Some people have clinical depression, which is a chemical imbalance; it's not just feeling blue once in a while, but a pervasive sadness. My own experience is that taking an anti-depressant has saved my life, virtually (making it feel worth living) and possibly literally (no longer think of ending it). A son tried same meds some years ago, did not like side effect, quit. Now, depression much worse, he tried a different medication, and is a new man! Happier, more energy, more positive outlook, no bad side effects. They're not effective for everyone, but some of us need them. A friend got needed thyroid meds and got off 10! psychiatric ones that weren't working well for her anyway. There is help, you just have to find the right thing for you, be it meds, exercise, light therapy, talking, friends, positive thinking, prayer or a combination. My best wishes to you, and to all others in need.