Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you ever just hate electronic type stuff? Good results today though. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-ever-just-hate-electronic-type-stuff-good-results-today-though-t155308.html)

Katia 09-23-2011 04:50 PM

Over a year ago I bought a blu ray player that is also supposed to be internet capable and wireless. We set it all up and it would not connect to our network. I asked my service provider if he knew what I was doing wrong and he laughed and said it was because he had blocked Netflix and all that stuff because it pulled down the system. Great, just great. So I finally got around to switching to a faster internet company and have really enjoyed that.

Last week I decided to connect to the new system and it wouldn't do it. I just kept going in a loop. I tried to figure it out online, but got nowhere. So I did the online chat thing and he had me do a bunch of shutting it off and on, etc, with no results. Then he wanted me to change some stuff in the IP address part, whatever that is. I am running back and forth from the computer to the living room, but dummy me, I was not getting to the right screen. So he suggested I call a guy on the phone that would help.

So I did and a very nice man in North Dakota walked me through the process, and was patient while I put a bunch of numbers in the right places. Then Voila ! It worked !!

I am so excited. I can now watch more movies on tv, also have Pandora Radio. How cool is that?

I have a love/hate relationship with electronics and computer type stuff. I want to just plug them in or turn them on and go with it. All this other stuff drives me crazy. I have an iPhone and guess what I use it for? A phone, just a phone most of the time. I don't have any music on it, and very few aps. The ones I do have were put there by my grandson. I guess I do find the map part pretty handy, although it has sent me on several wild goose chases.

I did buy one of those quilting calculators. I turned it on, looked at all the numbers and stuff, rolled my eyes and threw it in a drawer. I do intend to figure it out someday, but it will be obsolete by the time I get around to it.

Any one else have this problem?

quiltingme 09-23-2011 05:18 PM

Lol...knowf what you mean...I am an "end user"...not a programmer...I call on my son for that . :)

jaciqltznok 09-23-2011 05:31 PM

and they wonder why I have over 400 VHS tapes I love to watch!

luckylindy333 09-23-2011 05:37 PM

We got a blue ray player to hook up to the internet on our TV, also. We actually got two, because DM lives with us, too, and she wanted Netflix. Good thing DS is a tech. because it worked on her TV and not ours. Finally we had to buy an antenna- looking thing for ours and after several calls to cable company and Netflix it finally works.
I have watched several series from TV from the beginning that I never got to see because I work at night. I am on the 3rd season of Grey's Anatomy right now.... I love Netflix... but I understand that the price is going up 60%. I am going to have to check on Pandora...

scowlkat 09-23-2011 06:34 PM

I'm sorry but I don't speak that language! I can take a sewing machine apart, love computers and can and have taken them apart but when it comes to video and audio stuff, EEK!

amyjo 09-23-2011 08:27 PM

so you had some guy from North Dakota help you out? do you know where from and a name? Yeah, I hate all that techie stuff. now for my one job I get to be trained on and IPAD of all things. Thought maybe they would give us little computers but no. Oh well, might need the year to learn before we get them.

Painiacs 09-23-2011 08:31 PM

I'm electrically deficient!!!

mom-6 09-23-2011 11:14 PM

I've worked with computers forever - college prof in my intro class assured us that 64K was all you'd ever need for home computers! - but I don't know how to do the remote on DDs TV.