Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you exercise? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-exercise-t320186.html)

cashs_mom 02-28-2023 08:55 PM

I usually spend 1/2 to 3/4 hour every morning walking and doing some free weights. I also walk my young dog most evenings for another 1/2 hour. She likes to walk fast so she really works me!

My sewing room is also upstairs and I have a large house. When I'm doing laundry, I can easily do 10,000 steps a day without leaving my yard.

WMUTeach 03-01-2023 04:00 AM

I walk and have set a steps goal for myself. I know the concept of 10,000 per day is erroneous but I am a goal oriented person, so I chose a steps goal, much less than ten thousand steps, and I work to meet it daily. I get a happy rush when I meet my goal and It keeps me moving.every day. I walk a circuit near my home that allows me to vary the walk depending on weather, time and inclination. When the weather is really cold, rainy or icy, I walk about in my condo at a moderate clip and still get to my goal steps. I find that it makes a BIG difference in my general physical and mental health. Giving up 20-30 minutes a day and living with less pain is a small sacrifice to make. Oh, yeah, gym a couple times a week for weight work and then a walk on the treadmill.

rjwilder 03-01-2023 04:16 AM

Yes, everyday I walk, lift weights, jump on a mini trampoline for cardio and do 100 sit ups. I also play golf 3-4 times a week but we ride in a cart. I'm in my early 70's and want to stay healthy and enjoy my life.

aashley333 03-01-2023 05:08 AM

Yes! I have 2 artificial knees, and for recovery, I was sent to PT for months each time. I learned easy-to-replicate strategies to strengthen muscles. I ride a stationary bike each morning, as Dr. said walking was not "my exercise". When the water gets warmer, riding the waves is a great workout.

Snooze2978 03-01-2023 06:08 AM

As for back pain, my massage gal told me while still laying on her table to bring my legs up to my chest and swing them side to side a couple time. That will relax the lower back muscles. As I like to do strip piecing, that could mean sitting for a while at the machine so I bring only so many pieces to the machine and when done, I then walk to the pressing station I keep in the other room so I have to do just a little walking but it gets me off my toosh.

When quilting, though I have robotics, I still stay around it as I've had problems when the machine would stop with the needle down but the robotics is still going, rips my quilt if I'm not there to stop it in time. I have the rubber mats along my quilt machine and I wear thicker sole shoes as I have feet issues. While standing there, I'll bring my arms up level with my chest and swing my upper body side to side. Sometimes I'll reach down to my toes and back up so I'm getting some exercise while sewing. I try to take a couple mile walk when the weather is nice which hasn't been much this winter here in Iowa. The wind will cut you in two. I walk swinging my arms back and forth to get my heart and lungs pumping and on my walk I have a fairly steep block where I don't slow down but keep at the steady faster than a normal walk going up the hill. In the summer I do take a water bottle with me to keep hydrated.

Onebyone 03-01-2023 07:04 AM

The 10,000 steps a day was all for marketing. It means nothing. The science is 7500 steps is ideal, any more does not help or hinder in terms of what is beneficial. 10,000 sounded better then 7500 for the marketing campaign.

Mkotch 03-01-2023 10:16 AM

I take yoga once a week and walk several times in the neighborhood each week. Three loops around our neighborhood is a mile but I have to admit that I am lazy in winter and only do one or two each day. If you are having back trouble, "legs up the wall" and "cows and cats" are two good yoga poses that may help you. My knees are quite creaky these days, so I am trying to lose a little weight in hopes of helping them. I'm going to try walking backwards in the house before I go outside to do it!

cashs_mom 03-01-2023 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8591240)
The 10,000 steps a day was all for marketing. It means nothing. The science is 7500 steps is ideal, any more does not help or hinder in terms of what is beneficial. 10,000 sounded better then 7500 for the marketing campaign.

Good to know. I'm golden then. I do 7,500 steps on a bad day.

Tartan 03-01-2023 01:59 PM

I break up my sewing time with trips to rotary cut and iron pieces.

Brooke0110 03-01-2023 07:04 PM

Of course, I try to keep fit. But I don't do anything special for it, I just ride my bike Tommaso every day. It takes about an hour but when I come to my massage therapist, she say that I have a strong body for my age :cool: