Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   do you feel women should cut their hair (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-feel-women-should-cut-their-hair-t126018.html)

debcavan 05-27-2011 06:06 AM

I now have wash and wear hair. It is so easy, so fast, no hair dryer, sometimes no comb just run my fingers through it. It was my husband who liked my long hair which got in my baby's fingers and was always worn up to keep it out of the way. When he died, I cut the hair a week later. I have never been sorry

JulieR 05-27-2011 06:09 AM

As everyone else has said I think it just depends on the woman and what SHE wants! I think short hair happens to a lot of folks when they've had the same (longer) style for a really long time and want to do something to update it.

I'm 39 this year and growing my hair longer for the first time in ages. I can already see it doing a kind of Farrah/fuzzy poodle thing so I'm not too sure how long it will last.

Also, if I were going to grow out the color and just be gray I'd chop it all off to speed things up. Maybe that's how it happens? 'Cause anyone who has ever had to grow out a short 'do knows it is NOT a fun time.

charlotte625 05-27-2011 06:10 AM

I had long hair till a month ago and cut it to suit me ...I am glad I did, But if I want my hair down to my knees..That is up to me.
and like clothes..who should tell you what you should wear.
I went shopping and I am size 18, so why do they want us to wear large flowers..............makes me so mad.

Annaquilts 05-27-2011 06:12 AM

I think you should wear it the way you feel like especially if you are over 40. My MIL is well into her 80- ies and just over the last couple of years grew her hair out into a beautiful big long grey braid down her back. She wears combs on the sides of her head to fluff it up a little. I am 47 and just over the last 2 years have started growing my hair out again. DH likes it short and I think it looks better but I like the feeling of the longer hair. My children overal like it longer on me. All through my late 20 and early 30 I had it super long. I did start coloring it as the idea of a full head of grey hair has no appeal to me.

waladopa 05-27-2011 06:15 AM

I'm almost 61 and I have a long ponytail.
That's the way I like it and so that's how I will wear it.

Annaquilts 05-27-2011 06:16 AM

Not everyones hair thins out that much. My MIL has very thick hair and so do I.

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
I think they should in a sense of being well-kept. I've seen some women who don't wanna let go of their locks and end up with long, stringy, straggly hair just because it starts to thin out as you get older, you know? Not that any particular length is the "right" length...but wear your tresses PROUDLY.

max's grandma 05-27-2011 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by charlotte625
I had long hair till a month ago and cut it to suit me ...I am glad I did, But if I want my hair down to my knees..That is up to me.
and like clothes..who should tell you what you should wear.
I went shopping and I am size 18, so why do they want us to wear large flowers..............makes me so mad.

I agree I am also an 18 and can't under stand why they want us to wear stripes around instead of vertical. They design everything for the tiny ones, also at my age I don't want the low necks either.

nativetexan 05-27-2011 06:24 AM

i wish i had a braid! i swore when we moved to Colorado i would let my hair grow. best laid plans.....

BellaBoo 05-27-2011 06:36 AM

Most middle aged and older ladies I know with long hair, their hair always look oily and stringy or frizzy and dry. Most think their long hair looks good but it doesn't. Long hair is a pain to keep healthy. My hair is just above my shoulders and it takes some fussing to keep looking decent. There is one lady I know that has waist length beautiful silver hair. She wear it up and always looks elegant even in jeans. She goes to the salon twice a week for a wash and special conditioning to keep her hair nice.

lyndad 05-27-2011 06:49 AM

I have always worn my hair fairly short, because it's very fine and thin, it just looks better on me than longer hair. Everyone has their on style and reasoning behind their hairdo.