Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you have a business/personal card that you leave? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-have-business-personal-card-you-leave-t199979.html)

sandyl 09-09-2012 03:02 AM

Do you have a business/personal card that you leave?

We are heading out to a class reunion (50 years, and yes I'm old) and thinking about taking some cards with info on it so that others can stay in touch. We also travel frequently and thought that might not be a bad idea to have for friends we meet along the way. Is this a dorky idea? If you have cards would you mind sharing a snapshot of what you use?
Sandy

leatheflea 09-09-2012 03:45 AM

I think its a great idea, even if you don't have a business. I've had complete strangers that I talk to in stores or wherever give me cards after I get to talking to them. Most people are less likely to loose that little card than they are a piece of paper. And on Vistaprint you can get them really cheap.

QuiltnNan 09-09-2012 06:06 AM

i have a former college friend who has personal cards... she's not in business. as you say, the card is more likely to be kept. my brother has one as he is a 'consultant' on military matters and on the board of directors of habitat for humanity. even in this electronic age, i prefer the cards.

alwayslearning 09-09-2012 06:20 AM

I think that is a terrific idea. We just got back from on cruise on which we had a very compatible group at dinner. On the last night several folks had cards (business and personal) which they gave out so we could keep in touch.

May in Jersey 09-09-2012 06:36 AM

I have one as one of the coordinators of my guild's ConKerrCancer Project Pillowcases. Besides info about the project guild it also has my name and email addy. I give the cards out to password along word of our project and also to people I meet that I'd like to hear from again. Having the pillowcase project name on the card helps people to remember who I am. My co-coordinor's DH made cards for me and his wife very easily using a packet of cards from Staples.

You could design your own personal card and put something special about you on it and include whatever info you like. May in Jersey

DebraK 09-09-2012 06:41 AM

In the olden days, they were called calling cards.

Neesie 09-09-2012 06:55 AM

You can easily print your own business cards. Office Depot has blank card stock (perforated for business cards). I've also seen some at WalMart but I'm not sure every WM carries them.

Not dorky, at all. I used to keep some personal cards with me, until we moved. Just haven't made any new ones, yet.

NJ Quilter 09-09-2012 07:09 AM

A friend of mine did this decades ago. Very helpful. I've even done some for myself on occassion. And yes, printing them up yourself is the hot tip. You can get a package of pre-perforated business cards just about anywhere these days. And if you have any sort of word processing software (Word, etc.) on your computer, you just have to plug in the 'label number' on the box of cards and a template will pop up for the exact size you need. Feel free to PM me if you need any guidance.

Jan in VA 09-09-2012 07:50 AM

"Calling cards" should always be 'in vogue'....and that's sort of what you're talking about. Besides, they're fun!!

Got to reorder mine, thanks for mentioning it.:D

Jan in VA

Quiltaddict 09-09-2012 01:52 PM

Thanks for reminding me. I've been meaning to print some up for myself ever since I retired about a year ago. Had business cards when I worked and would drop them in those fishbowl/jars at restaurants to try and win a free meal. Did win several times and I've missed doing that. I have even seen the card blanks at the dollar stores so you might check there too. Well, off to design my new calling cards.