Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you have children going into or currently serving in the Armed Forces…. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-have-children-going-into-currently-serving-armed-forces%85-t189239.html)

Nancy Ingham 05-17-2012 06:20 AM

Do you have children going into or currently serving in the Armed Forces….

……I need your help! My niece is graduation from HS June 9th and I need some ideas for a gift. Kristina is going into the NAVY….so all of you folks that have graduates opting for the service, or currently serving,….I need gift ideas. I don’t have time to make her anything….I have been recovering from surgery, followed by an kidney infection and antibiotic reaction (why I haven’t been active on this Board for a little while) and I will be hard pressed to finish a jeans quilt I am making for my granddaughter also graduating in June and heading off to college in the fall. Any help with ideas or suggestions for Kristina would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Nancy

Jim's Gem 05-18-2012 09:51 AM

Well, if she is going off to Boot camp she will not be able to bring anything with her. This will give you more time if you decide to make her something. She won't be able to have any personal effects on her until after she graduates from Boot Camp.
Stationery and stamps I think are allowed. She may take a small bible with her.
When my son was in boot camp we bought him an ipod and loaded it with everyone's music and a couple of movies. When he graduated we gave it to him. He really appreciated that.
My daughter really enjoyed a quilt I made and sent to her in both Iraq and Afghanistan when she was serving over there.
I'm sure others will have some great ideas.

Tartan 05-18-2012 11:17 AM

How about some prepaid phone cards? If she has her own phone, perhaps some minutes to go on it?

patricej 05-18-2012 12:26 PM

The best gifts you can give her before she leaves are a big, fat, squeezy, squishy, squashy hug; to tell her how proud you are of her; and to remind her that she's doing something too great for words.

and some pretty underwear. unless things have changed, she will be allowed to wear her own. having some frillies under the uniform can be a real morale booster on tough days. LOL

Wait until you have her address at boot camp, then start sending her cards, letters, and boxes of goodies. (Make sure you send enough each time for lots of snackers. She will be expected to share.)

kso 05-18-2012 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5226185)
How about some prepaid phone cards? If she has her own phone, perhaps some minutes to go on it?

Excellent idea!

Jingle 05-18-2012 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Nancy Ingham (Post 5223285)
……I need your help! My niece is graduation from HS June 9th and I need some ideas for a gift. Kristina is going into the NAVY….so all of you folks that have graduates opting for the service, or currently serving,….I need gift ideas. I don’t have time to make her anything….I have been recovering from surgery, followed by an kidney infection and antibiotic reaction (why I haven’t been active on this Board for a little while) and I will be hard pressed to finish a jeans quilt I am making for my granddaughter also graduating in June and heading off to college in the fall. Any help with ideas or suggestions for Kristina would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Nancy

I have a Grandson serving in the Army, about 6 years now. We didn't give him anything, we did go for his HS Graduation and graduation from Boot Camp (Army), In Tenn. and Georgia.
Wanted to tell you, our oldest Granddaughter's name is Kristina also, not many spell it like that.
Money is always a good gift, my only suggestion.
I hope you get to feeling better, real soon.

mountain deb 05-18-2012 03:44 PM

Take it from a Navy vet, frilly undies are okay --- after she gets out. But during inspection good cotton is best. They are folded and stacked in your locker, silkies tend to slip and slide all over the place and not look neat. You also do not want to call attention to yourself, trust me on this. Letters/cards from home on a regular basis is best. It is a cultural shock and they need a touch of home to keep sane. Remember they only have their duffel bag to carry around stuff. You would not believe the stuff they throw away in the trash before they move to their next assignment. Due to to much weight or not enough room. God Bless her for going in and serving.

AZ Jane 05-18-2012 05:03 PM

The most I would give is stamps until you hear from here. My grandson went into the Marines and they may be srticter. ALWAYS ask first! Not even sure about phone cards.

merry 05-20-2012 02:41 PM

My son (USMC now serving in Afghanistan) couldn't take anything to boot-camp. His first request for an after boot-camp gift was an extra long quillow :D - he's 6'2"

redtweety 05-21-2012 06:47 AM

I agree here with most, stamps and stationary was all my daughter could take to bootcamp. the calling card came later, about a month in before they could call us. but she got thru it with the daily letters from home, I sent one every day and sometimes she would get 2 at a time. But she was happy hearing from us. she wrote every sun, about the only time she had down time. after that first month, they could have snacks, and yes, they share. but they dont have too, it is just something they do. I would send the flat rate boxes, with some snacks to share and in the bottom, marked open in private, her favorite candy to hoard and eat all herself.