Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you have a membership in a service club for your heating/ac unit? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-have-membership-service-club-your-heating-ac-unit-t261879.html)

IrishgalfromNJ 02-27-2015 10:43 AM

Do you have a membership in a service club for your heating/ac unit?

The folks that I use for maintenance on my heat pump/ac unit have a service club membership with different levels of membership. You pay a monthly fee and the club provides free services, discounts on repairs, guaranteeing appointments within a certain period of time, and guaranteeing their work. Membership classifies you as a preferred customer.

Just wondering if anyone has this kind of membership and whether they thought it was worth the money.

nativetexan 02-27-2015 11:39 AM

I was just thinking on that today. I had an electrical company come and ended up saying yes to a $15.00 a month one. So far all I've gotten is them coming out to check my very old furnace heating and clean it. changed the filter too. Nothing since then. I have so many things to do that I forget about them.
I used to have one with a larger company and got my fridge fixed, mostly for free.

quiltingcandy 02-27-2015 11:46 AM

You might want to check them out on the internet and BBB. But last year I needed a plumber and called the company that I had used for several years and was asked if I was a member of their plan? No, didn't know what they were talking about. But it turned out if I was a member they would be able to come out immediately, if not, I would have to wait about a week. I thanked them, hung up and found another plumber. The guy that came out said it was becoming a new thing, he was picking up all the business these other places were losing, so he was happy.

We had a service contract for the first 10 years on our heater, then the company went out of business and I never found another one.

Doggramma 02-27-2015 03:35 PM

We've had this service for over 10 years. It used to be $500 a year and that included the furnace/AC yearly maintenance as well as an electrical/plumbing check-up. They now do a monthly billing that includes the same things, as well as the preferred service and discounts you mention. I definitely think it's worth it. Our service provider does furnace, AC, plumbing and electrical work. It's called "all comfort."

Jeanne S 02-27-2015 04:01 PM

I don't do anything monthly, but we have an annual maintenance contract that calls for them to come out and clean and check out everything twice a year--in the early spring before using the air conditioner and early fall before switching over to heat. I think it helps in the overall life of your units, and it does give us priority service calls if something goes out.

sandy l 02-28-2015 04:23 AM

We have a twice-a-year check on our furnace/air conditioner, pay a small fee each month for it. I think it's worth it.

Chasing Hawk 02-28-2015 08:48 AM

I never heard of this before.

We do however have a membership to a legal service. We pay a monthly fee and have access to law firms in all 50 states if needed. It has paid for itself a hundred times over since we became members in 2002.
We haven't had to use all 50 law firms..lol......just 2 so far.

Tothill 02-28-2015 09:14 AM

I live in a small town in BC Canada, I have never heard of whole house service plans that cover electrical and plumbing as well as heating systems.

I know many home heating oil companies have a plan where if I sign up for an auto fill plan, they will service the furnace (but I still pay for the servicing). I am not interested. My former BIL was a burner mechanic for huge heating systems, he would service the furnace for the cost of parts.

I cannot image what an Electrical service plan would cover. Most electric systems are no maintenance except changing light bulbs and throwing a breaker every so often if you over load a circuit.

In 17 years we have had to call a plumber 5 times. I have used the same plumber for all 17 years.

If I had signed up for a $15.00 per month plan 17 years ago I would have paid over $3000.00 by now. I certainly have not paid that much in plumbing or furnace repairs.

Jingle 02-28-2015 06:16 PM

Our Heating.AC company had a twice a year plan for $119.00, we would get priority if we needed service call, saved a few percent on any parts needed. Their yearly check of furnace/AC at their convenience, not ours. We both work together and ride together and couldn't get to work for a couple hours or more after we opened the doors. We dropped them and now will take our chances when service is needed.
I think it is just another way for them to make money. Cleaning furnace-AC is not rocket science, we do our own now. We change filters every 30 days.

Mariposa 02-28-2015 06:19 PM

Never heard of it. We just call as needed.