Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you have a steam cleaner for floors and walls? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-have-steam-cleaner-floors-walls-t180793.html)

Rose L 02-26-2012 01:15 PM

Do you have a steam cleaner for floors and walls?

I just ordered a Dirt Devil steam mop from Walmart.com. I received it in two days! I got it unpacked and tried it out this morning and it is an awesome little machine. Having a broken spine, moderately severe carpal tunnel, arthritis and Fibromyalgia, you can probably imagine how difficult house cleaning is for me beyond sweeping and dusting. I got the plus system with an attachment to steam clean the carpet surfaces in my house as well but haven't tired it out yet. I'll do that tomorrow after I recoup from today's cleaning frenzy and I'll let you know how that goes.

This machine can not be used on anything except floors and after seeing it work I would desperately love to have a unit that I can use on the walls and ceilings of my home (not too heavy and cumbersome to use). Do any of you have a unit that is good at these tasks? I would love to hear of your experiences and recommendations. Thanks in advance for your replies!

donnajean 02-26-2012 01:26 PM

When speaking of steam cleaning walls, do you mean "tile" walls. I don't think you should use steam on drywall or plaster walls. You have to be careful on wood floors as well. I used my Shark steam cleaner a bit too much & it melted the polyurethane on my hardwood floors. I believe Shark does make a small hand steam cleaner.

gotta-sew 02-26-2012 01:36 PM

I have shark and I do love it. My hard floors are super clean and I do love that. I clean my tile and my oven door and window runners you name it. I have friends that own a Sargent steam and they all really love those.

Prism99 02-26-2012 01:36 PM

There are steam cleaners that can be used on walls, but I'm pretty sure the wall paint needs to be the washable kind. The steam cleaner I bought has a hose so I can use it on shower tile, etc., but mine is a heavy canister style -- probably not what you want, because it is heavy even without the water in it. Check Amazon to find various brands of steam cleaners and user reviews of them.

Rose L 02-26-2012 01:46 PM

I do mean for use on painted walls and textured ceilings. We heat with propane and our home heater is a vent-less propane unit (natural gas is not available and electric is too costly). Over the course of the winter we end up with a film on all the walls and ceilings. I used to scrub everything each spring but that is no longer a possibility. My daughter is coming home for spring break and has offered to scrub for me while she is here but I need some kind of machine so that I can do this chore in her absence. Thanks for the suggestions you have made so far, I'll go check them out.

sassey 02-26-2012 03:52 PM

I have a shark floor steamer and love it I found that I could also carefully spot clean carpet with it . I also have a shark hand held cleaner that I use to clean walls shower refrigerator actually everything that needs cleaned. I have heart failure, fibro, arthritis and deg back disease and have to be very carefully when cleaning in fact I have to set down to vacumn but I can usually remain standing using anyone of my steam cleaners

Stitchnripper 02-26-2012 06:35 PM

I have the basic shark steamer and have used it for a number of years. So far it hasn't done anything bad to the polyurethane on the engineered wood floors and I love how it works on the laminate in the kitchen. My socks don't get dirty walking shoeless in the house anymore.

MissSandra 02-26-2012 06:37 PM

I have a shark and it removed the shine from my kitchen linolium flooring.
now I did use a hand steamer for removing wall paper worked great.

TanyaL 02-27-2012 04:40 AM

I have the Shark hand held cleaner. It will clean anything that hot water will not hurt.

barri1 02-27-2012 05:33 PM

I have a steamer that cleans floors, and walls, and everything else.. I bought it at Costco a couple of years ago.. It's called Piccallo.. I love it..
Barri