Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you know anything about crocking? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-know-anything-about-crocking-t220697.html)

EasyPeezy 05-04-2013 10:06 AM

Do you know anything about crocking?

DH got some new blue jeans that I washed and dried. The dryer came out blue.
I thought there was a bleeding problem so I washed them again with some Shout
color catchers but they came out white. So I did a crocking test and rubbed a
piece of white fabric on the jeans and there it was...all blue. Now what to do?
I read that Retayne and Sythrapol won't help. Any ideas? I'm afraid everything
is going to turn blue wherever he sits. Argh.

grannie cheechee 05-04-2013 01:24 PM

How did you wash the jeans? Sometimes putting vinegar in the rinse water will set the dye, but that is only idea I know about. If that doesn't work I'd take them back to the store and complain.

nvb50 05-04-2013 03:29 PM

I have never had jeans do that. I would take them back to the store

quiltstringz 05-04-2013 03:39 PM

I have had jeans do that before. I think I ended up washing them about 4-5 times before I wore them.

EasyPeezy 05-04-2013 04:32 PM

Unfortunately I've already cut and hemmed them to fit. I tried washing/soaking in vinegar
but that doesn't seem to help. Yeah I think we'll just have to resort to several washes.
Now we know why they were so cheap (for here). LOL

QuiltE 05-04-2013 06:05 PM

While you've read that Retayne won't help ... I'd still give it a try!!
What we read, is not always correct ... for all it would cost, it'd sure be worth trying.

Years ago I had a pair like that ... and I would wear them, and my arms turned blue from rubbing on them. Luckily after a few washings, it stopped.

helenhiwater 05-05-2013 05:35 AM

I thought crocking was for pickles?

Stitchit123 05-05-2013 05:46 AM

Are they Wrangler's by chance--DH bought a couple pair and I tried every thing vinegar - retayne- a gallon of bleach-my SIL tye dyes and I tried soda ash /ash soda =this is pretty close to what I used= I boiled these jeans for hours. They still faded. But the weird thing about it was the jeans never got any lighter in color After all this I did get a bit of an attitude I took the jeans back to the Sears store to lodge a complaint with the receipt - I told them what all I had done to try to stop the bleeding. To my surprise they gave me double the amount that he had spent. Plus a $25 gift card for their store.I was in shock that they did this after all the torture these jeans suffered.It was something about a dye vat malfunction. Take them back whether you cut them or not ..

meanmom 05-05-2013 05:56 AM

I have a pair of denim capris like that. They weren't cheap. I haven't noticed them bleed in furniture but by the end of the day my finget tips and nails look dirty. they are all blue. Not sure what will work. I have an older pair of jeans, several years that do the same thing.

tessagin 05-05-2013 11:38 AM

If there is that much dye, I would be careful wearing them. If you have the slightest open wound you could get an infection. I wouldn't let him wear them until there was no more dye. Did you wash them in warm water? Since you have already washed and dried them, I would wash them again in warm water and add a 1/2 cup of ammonia to them. I had to wash some fabric from an estate sale and couldn't get the smell out (cedar and musty). Friend of mine and internet suggested Arm and Hammer laundry soap and ammonia and also vinegar. it got rid of the years of cedar and they happened to be smokers and wore a lot of men and women's cologne.