Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you know what kind of bush this is? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-know-what-kind-bush-t287002.html)

marge954 03-23-2017 07:42 AM

Do you know what kind of bush this is?

1 Attachment(s)
I have searched but can't find out the name of this bush. I have also asked and can't find anyone who knows. It is a small, twiggy little bush about two feet tall. It isn't full like a hydrangea bush, just thin branches like sticks. I am trying to root a couple of the branches both in dirt and water but would like to figure out what it is in hopes of purchasing one. (this one is in my neighbors yard) Thanks!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]570235[/ATTACH]

Feather3 03-23-2017 08:33 AM

Pretty. I would guess it's an Azelia.

You may have better luck getting a start using "rooting powder". You can find it at Lowes, Home Depot or usually any place that sells gardening supplies.

This site has info on how to root cutting from various shrubs/etc.:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orn...-and-trees.htm

Geri B 03-23-2017 09:41 AM

Either azalea or rhododendron would be my guess.....

Eva Knight 03-23-2017 12:32 PM

My Mother called it a March Rose. I found it in a plant mag. once and it has almond in it's name. That is all I remember. I always loved to see it bloom.

Jane Quilter 03-23-2017 12:37 PM

Did you steal it from your neighbor in the middle of the night or in broad daylight? LOL She is going to be suspicious until your rooting takes hold and you plant it in your yard.....then the gig will be up!

Eva Knight 03-23-2017 12:38 PM

They are hard to root. Have you heard of air layering. Chose a limb about the size of a pencil, scratch the bark and put a plastic bag around it with damp potting soil and tie well. Cover with tin foil. Check in about 6-8 wks. to see if roots are forming. When good roots have formed cut from mother plant and pot or plant in the ground.

heronlady 03-23-2017 01:00 PM

Looks like what we've always called "Flowering Almond". Ask at your garden centers or google it. Had one in Ohio which always seemed to get nipped by frost in the spring; now we're in east TN and have one here. It does really well here. Is sending up shoots from extended roots in the ground. If your neighbor's has been in for quite a few years, maybe you could dig up some shoots from the roots if it has any. The one at this house has been in probably 20 years.
We trim it frequently to keep it sized to fit its space.

ckcowl 03-23-2017 01:43 PM

Around here they are called wild roses. Different areas have different names for many plants, shrubs, bushes.

marge954 03-23-2017 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter (Post 7789974)
Did you steal it from your neighbor in the middle of the night or in broad daylight? LOL She is going to be suspicious until your rooting takes hold and you plant it in your yard.....then the gig will be up!

That 92 year old "youngster" could beat the daylights out of me:) She's been helping me collect old fashioned plants and flowers for a couple of years now. Her memory is going and she can't remember the names of some of the plants and I didn't start out writing them down.
We are retiring to the country in a couple of years and I have a backyard full of buckets with shrubs and flowers. If I see a sign were an old home has been sold to a commercial company I'll call and ask if I can "rescue" the plants. They think I'm nuts but no one has every said no.
DH did tell me no more daffodil rescues but my neighbor on the opposite side of me said I can hide some in the woods behind his house if needed:)

marge954 03-23-2017 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Eva Knight (Post 7789976)
They are hard to root. Have you heard of air layering. Chose a limb about the size of a pencil, scratch the bark and put a plastic bag around it with damp potting soil and tie well. Cover with tin foil. Check in about 6-8 wks. to see if roots are forming. When good roots have formed cut from mother plant and pot or plant in the ground.

Thanks Eva, I'll definitely try that method.