Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you like an open-concept kitchen/living space? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-like-open-concept-kitchen-living-space-t157079.html)

Roxanne 10-01-2011 06:47 PM

The first home I owned had tiny small individual rooms which I had also grown up with. My second home had a separate dining room and family room from the kitchen and I decided to knock out a wall and install an island between the kitchen and dining room. I loved it and have been knocking down walls ever since!

3incollege 10-01-2011 06:56 PM

My first home was open. we designed and built our 2 house and had the kitchen semi -opened from the family home. I like a wall between the rooms much better. It does cut down on the noise.
As far as resale I know alot will have to be upgraded, but I'm not selling for along time.

Pinklady 10-01-2011 07:04 PM

I have kitchen and dining room combo, living room is a room to it's self. I like MY SPACE in the kitchen. Can also watch my TV while I cook. Don't have to watch ball games all the time.

Sew Freak 10-01-2011 07:27 PM

OPEN...I've had both. I like open because when the kids come over we are spread over the kitchen, living room and dining room and can pretty much be in contact with one another rather easily. Only drawback to 'open' is that I don't like looking at a messy kitchen when sitting in the living room or dining room when meals aren't served.

BrendaY 10-01-2011 09:32 PM

Love my open kitchen, dining, and t.v. room...the living room is way over there and I love it that way, too. When I have people over now they are all over the place.. use to always congregate in my small enclosed kitchen.

This is way better!

cjsparks 10-01-2011 09:39 PM

Open concept. The house I have now is not open...I don't like it, but it is what it is.

Tinabug 10-01-2011 10:05 PM

I totally enjoy the open concept, I love cooking for friends and I love being able to include them in the finished meal. When someone says "what can I do to help, it makes them feel good when they can contribute. I know I always feel good when I am a guest and truly mean it when I say."what can I do to help?" and the hostess gives me a job!! If I want to be the total hostess and "lay it all out" I'll hire a caterer and no one has to work..but that's not what my friends expect. Just my weird way of entertaining my friends.

QM 10-01-2011 10:14 PM

I've lived both ways. I like the open space, but I also like a quiet place to read.

margoee 10-01-2011 10:49 PM

We are finding the open concept to be very noisy, also. I will probably look for a condo without the open concept when we decide to "downsize" in a few years.

alapetitechaise 10-02-2011 02:03 AM

I liked the open concept when the kids were little so I could keep an eye on them. We are empty nesters now and have a victorian that is very compartmentalized. Hubby and I love having our separate spaces; mine for sewing of course. The kitchen is large and we have a large island in the center where both of us cook together. The dishes and noise from food prep is away from the formal dining/living rooms, which I prefer for family gatherings.