Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you like an open-concept kitchen/living space? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-like-open-concept-kitchen-living-space-t157079.html)

GGinMcKinney 09-30-2011 08:20 PM

Ditto

Originally Posted by Scotlass
We have the open concept and I like the fact that I don't feel left out of what is going on in the family room while preparing a meal in the kitchen. I agree that it cuts down on wall space for decorating and we don't have young children, so the noise factor isn't a problem.

luvstitches 10-01-2011 02:41 AM

I agree about the noise. I have a split level home with an almost open floor plan if that makes sense. We have the family room down a few steps where the TV is. Sometime I feel lonely being upstairs in the kitchen and then sometimes I escape all the family room noise and such and bake with the radio on. I couldn't do that with an open floor plan.
So, I do understand both ways.
Also, with Italian family, we all talk at the same time no matter how open or closed the floor plan is. LOL

watterstide 10-01-2011 03:10 AM

we took the wall out between the kitchen and living room,years ago..i love it being open. we have a standard 1 floor,3 bedroom home, which i think is 900 sq feet. i hate being closed in.

the only drawback to this layout, is you loose a wall, for when you want to change the furniture arrangement. i can live with that!

the kitchen has a wood floor and the living room is carpet..we had the floors meet, by curving them..giving the rooms a sense of separation but not really..i can't wait to get rid of the carpeting..i hate it!

a few girls that post here have been to my home..i should ask them what they think of it!

if i had my way, all the bedroom doors would be stored in the basement! (we are empty nesters now,no reason to close doors)

hopetoquilt 10-01-2011 03:19 AM

Perhaps you should look into items that will help absorb some of the noise. Some nice big quilts on the walls, carpets/rugs on the floor, etc. That will cut down on the noise.

agdetrick 10-01-2011 03:22 AM

Open is having access to everything all at once. Call me crazy, but it makes me feel happy to walk in our home all the time. I love our home so much and that is not only reason, but because my husband built it for us. We are so blessed he has such talent. Wall or no wall, I love being home every minute of it.

hobbykat1955 10-01-2011 03:24 AM

Have 2 homes..One colonial and One semi colonial a bit more open...I like the closed off concept...I'm with you I want my own space, quiet time and not having the steam or if frying grease going in all directions of the hse...

DebbE 10-01-2011 03:33 AM

Have lived in both types of homes, and I love, love the separate rooms now in our smaller home (1500 sq ft). At this stage of our life, its nice to be able to close off rooms, and have different colors, etc. Easier/cheaper to heat/cool, and easier to keep clean for us, too. To each his own!

teacherbailey 10-01-2011 03:48 AM

I love the open floor plan and have my first one after years of living in older homes with chopped up rooms. I hope to never have anything else!

emerald46 10-01-2011 03:59 AM

We lived in closed concept for 32 years, loved it. The rooms were large and huge kitchen worked just fine. Now we have open concept in our downsizing (lol only 5000 sq ft). I truly love the huge eat in kitchen, big island and open to den concept. Large two story windows on back side of house with backyard and pool visible from all areas. It is my indoor/outdoor oasis. We love the noise; it means our home is full of friends and family instead of just the two of us as during weekdays!!!

Teacup 10-01-2011 04:01 AM

We bought an old house with a very small (and dysfunctional) kitchen at the back, totally separate from the living room, even had a swinging door into the dining room. I hated being shut off from what the kids were doing, or company gathered in front while I cooked (too small to have two people in the kitchen). Twelve years ago we knocked the back wall off the house and put on a 20x22 addition. We greatly expanded the kitchen, added a walk-in pantry and a nice family room. Love it. Now that it's just DH and me, this is where we spend most of our time. The front part of the house with dining room and living room is still all chopped up, and we only use it if there's a large group.