Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you LOVE your machine and WHY?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-love-your-machine-why-t153111.html)

PatchGirl 09-15-2011 07:57 AM

I have an old Singer touchtronic that I have used for years but this next Spring I want to get a new machine that has basic important quilting features etc. so I'd rather hear from folks with experience as I am new to quilting. Features like even-feed that is integrated rather than using an even feed-dog foot etc. and also decorative stitches. Not necessarily high-end, even used. Just sturdy as mine is wearing out, etc.

jljack 09-15-2011 07:59 AM

Basic important features such as what? If your machine can do straight and zigzag, that's really all you need. Maybe a few more stitches for machine applique, such as blanket stitch. That's about all you need. No need to go buy a machine with a gazillion very expensive features. Many quilters use vintage straight stitch machines that don't even zigzag.

Save your money!!

PatchGirl 09-15-2011 08:02 AM

Just want to hear your pro and cons ;)

patski 09-15-2011 08:44 AM

I have , inexpensive viking and love it, I think I paid $300 it was a demo, full warranty but I never needed it, I've had it about 5 years

jdiane318 09-15-2011 08:53 AM

I have a Janome and it has great stitching, a needle threader that works and the blanket stitch for applique. It has been my favorite machine all around.

Painiacs 09-15-2011 09:10 AM

I have cheap brothers I got at wal-mart to start and now have vintage singers!!

hobbykat1955 09-15-2011 10:20 AM

High end Husq Viking SE...Love it...has sensor foot, auto cutter...combo sewing/emb...tons of diff stitches...

mamaw 09-15-2011 10:57 AM

I do love my machine.....accu feed system, stitches it offers, and the wonderful lighting. Janome Horizon 7700

GAgal 09-15-2011 12:39 PM

I love my Bernina 930 that I bought in 1985. Every stitch is perfect. Two features that I especially enjoy are needle down and ability to drop the feed dogs. Having a walking foot is great. I also have a newer Bernina 440 and the only better feature on it is the stitch regulator for doing fmq. So far I'm still having to practice a lot with that.

I do agree that basically you will use a straight stitch 99% of the time so there is no need to spend a lot extra for fancy stuff you won't use.

I do wish my machines were lighter in weight to make them easier to take to classes. I'm afraid you may give up longevity with the cheaper plastic machines.

MrsGuava 09-15-2011 02:13 PM

I have three antique Singers, a Singer dressmate, a 150th anniversary model Singer. I found a brand new EuroProX at a yard sale for $20. It was never unwrapped. It is very light so i take it to quilt class. Many quilters use the Featherweight or the 301a. I love my 301a. Put enough thought in to it so you are HAPPY.