Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you remember Playdoh? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-remember-playdoh-t55718.html)

lilpoohbearie 07-22-2010 11:18 AM

Not the new stuff they have out there but the real stuff. I had forgotten what it felt like till my daughter went to a thrift store and brought home a new package of old playdoh. I opened one and the smell was the same as the new but the texture. Oh that lovely texture. It was soft and smoothe and when you squish it in your hands it melts with pure joy. I used to have the barber set that when push the dolls head down it made lovely threads of playdoh hair that you could trim with plastic scissors. and the part that made a hose it was so cool to play with Oh the memories. Now a days they have this stiff unmoving playdoh no wonder kids don't like the stuff. If they could just feel what it used to be like.

sueisallaboutquilts 07-22-2010 11:22 AM

I loved Play-doh!!! So did my kids. Haven't seen any lately. I didn't know it was different.
How about bubbles??? Oh they were fun!!! When our dog was a puppy he'd jump up and try to bite them.
I still love bubbles :D
Oh yeah- loved the smell of Play-doh!!!!!!!

amma 07-22-2010 11:24 AM

I remember the hours of fun my brothers and I had with it and also my kids... I agree, this new stuff just isn't the same...

belmer 07-22-2010 11:26 AM

Yup... remember playdoh like it was yesterday. We had so much fun with it.

lovequilts 07-22-2010 12:19 PM

My mom wouldn't let us have it as it was too messy. I couldn't wait for my daughters to get old enough for them to play with it. Now they are married w/ their own kids and WE all love to play with it.

Rachel 07-22-2010 12:39 PM

I wonder if the stuff you make at home is like the old stuff? I didn't realize it had changed.

lilpoohbearie 07-22-2010 12:58 PM

Yes the stuff you make at home is exactly like the old stuff. I didn't realize it had changed until my daughter brought the old stuff home. We had a new pack and we could not even get it to feal like the consistancy of the old playdoh. I have to say I have so much fun remembering old times. I will be 38 in August and I feel like 48 so this trip down memory lane made me feel younge again!

Olivia's Grammy 07-22-2010 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by lilpoohbearie
Yes the stuff you make at home is exactly like the old stuff. I didn't realize it had changed until my daughter brought the old stuff home. We had a new pack and we could not even get it to feal like the consistancy of the old playdoh. I have to say I have so much fun remembering old times. I will be 38 in August and I feel like 48 so this trip down memory lane made me feel younge again!

Oh, that's good to know. I was thinking about making playdoh for the 2 & 3 year in Sunday School. I was worried about the smell.

lilpoohbearie 07-22-2010 03:22 PM

You can add vanilla to home made playdoh but be warned kids will eat
: ) WWW.familyfun.com has good playdoh recipes!

lab fairy 07-22-2010 03:47 PM

I used all sorts of extracts (lemon, peppermint, etc) when I made playdoh for my kids. They had as much fun making it as playing with it.

I had to laugh at how young some of you are. When I was little, we didn't have really fancy playdoh things. Those didn't come out until mid 70's. I used cookie cutters and kid scissors on mine. There was one squishie thing available and it looked kind of like a large garlic press with a slider that had like 4 different shapes to be extruded from it.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I still like to play with playdoh even if I don't have any "kid units" around.