Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you stay logged in? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-stay-logged-t43115.html)

Lneal 04-18-2010 10:13 AM

I have noticed some people stay logged in and others log out from the board. I usually stay logged in for the convenience, but does it matter? I don't know. So what do you do about that? Should you stay in or not? If not then why?

craftybear 04-18-2010 10:14 AM

I stay logged in.

Up North 04-18-2010 10:16 AM

I stay logged in too.

Boston1954 04-18-2010 10:17 AM

My computer gets completely shut down when I go to sleep each night. My husband told me not to leave it on all the time.

Lisanne 04-18-2010 10:17 AM

Staying logged in only means a cookie is put on your computer so that when you return to the website, your login is already known. It doesn't mean you're linked to the website when you're not on it.

I generally stay logged in to avoid having to type in my username and password every time I come here (or to some other board or website I go to regularly).

However, I also wipe my cookies and cache frequently, so I have to log back in after doing that.

Lneal 04-18-2010 10:28 AM

Why does the board list the names of people who are current users?
I thought it meant you were logged into the web site.

Lisanne 04-18-2010 10:37 AM

It's listing the people who have the boards open in their web browsers at the time.

So, because I'm here now, it would list my name. Once I surf to another website or close my web browser, my name would not be listed.

BellaBoo 04-18-2010 10:54 AM

I leave my computor on 24/7. I turn the monitor off when I'm not using it. I reboot and do updates every week. Most of my utility programs update themselves every night. All my scans run at night too. Turning off a computer everyday only saves some power cost, not the life of the computer.

no1jan 04-18-2010 11:56 AM

At times I stay logged in while I do other things around the house. But if I leave I log out.

However, my husband read an article last year the Time Warner was monitoring how long people are on the internet and is thinking about adopting a plan for people who use the internet more. Supposedly they were doing a test run somewhere in Texas.

If that ever happens here I will definitely log out. I find their prices are too high already for what you get. We have all-in-one and almost every day the Cable, Roadrunner, or the phone is down. Almost every morning (I am an early riser) between 3 and 5 there is no on-demand channels or the pay channels that we subscribe to. Last year I logged how many times I called TW because we were having so many problems, it was 68. The there local headquarters is 2 blocks away. We also went through 4 cable boxes as they would just quitl.

SherriB 04-18-2010 12:10 PM

I stay logged in. No one else uses this computer, except for my 4 year old DGD. She only plays her Jumpstart games. Both DD's have their own laptops and DH seldom ever uses the computer.

If anyone esle, besides DGD, used it, I would log off each time.