Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you think it is too old? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-think-too-old-t258382.html)

clem55 12-17-2014 01:21 PM

Do you think it is too old?

I have about 6 yards of Navy blue Pendelton wool that was given to my mom about 50 years ago. It has always been kept in a trunk in a dry place. It seems okay, but I wonder if it would fall apart or get drop holes in it after having it dry cleaned. Or would it be washable in cold water. I'd really like your opinions. Thanks

Diannia 12-17-2014 01:47 PM

I don't know but could you try washing just a small piece of it?

ILoveToQuilt 12-17-2014 03:20 PM

If you have a reliable dry cleaner, I would take it to them and ask your question. If they are good, they should be able to answer you.

tapper 12-17-2014 03:58 PM

I'd say...ask at your local dry-cleaning place.

Also....maybe the following link will help you make a decision....see #3.

http://www.realmenrealstyle.com/man-wool-fabrics/

bearisgray 12-17-2014 05:38 PM

I washed pendleton wool yardage in a wringer washer and dried it in a dryer

whenwashing wool:

wash and rinse it in the same temp water (tepid - human body temp)

avoid a lot of agitation

dry on a moderate heat and remove the fabric from the dryer when barely dry.

I washed five yard lengths ( I did hold my breath while doing this! ) and it turned out great.
I was going to make shirts for DH and did not want to have to take them in to be dry cleaned.

Jan in VA 12-17-2014 08:13 PM

Try giving the yardage some tugs in several directions to test its tensile strength. If it doesn't seem too weak or have any 'give', it probably won't be dry rotten and could be washed just fine.

Jan in VA

MFord 12-17-2014 08:19 PM

Pendleton Woolen Mills: (541) 276-6911. I would try calling them and asking their opinion. I have seen 50-year-old PW blankets that people are still using, so I expect it's ok, as long as the moths and silverfish haven't gotten to it.

quiltbuddy 12-18-2014 06:14 AM

My other hobbies are rug hooking and weaving. For rug hooking wool is washed before using and to get it ready to dye. Of course in rug hooking we want it to felt a little so it's easier to hook with. Most hookers just throw it in their washing machine on a short cycle and dry in the dryer to get it to felt a little. Freshly woven fabric (wool, included) is wet finished after being removed from the loom. Hand washed wool usually comes out soft and beautiful and not felted by being careful not to shock it by changing the temperature too quickly and not agitating too much (soaking is better) Use a little squirt of Dawn dish detergent. After washing hundreds of yards of new and recycled wool I've only had one disappointment when the wool was woven in an open and loose weave and it felted and got really fuzzy. I used my washing machine but I'm sure it would have been better to hand wash this one. Also, hold it up to a window to see if you have any moth holes before starting. Is it woolen or worsted (worsted is like the wool fabric in a man's suit). Worsted would probably be better off going to the dry cleaners. You can put in the dryer for 5 or 10 minutes but any longer and you're taking a chance for felting. It all depends on the wool (type of sheep used to make the yarn, weave structure and sett, and the spin of the yarn). Pendleton has made 1000's of different types of wool fabric so they would probably tell you to dry clean just to be safe.

Krystyna 12-18-2014 07:31 AM

Wool is very durable. A while ago I found some very vintage British men's suiting wool samples and have made a lot of things with it -- and I felted some as well. What do you have to lose? You already have the wool!

clem55 12-18-2014 07:56 AM

I may be double posting, but since I can['t see my first reply, I just want to thank you all again for your opinions. I'm going to try washing it, like it was said, I have nothing to lose . Now to figure out what to use it for if it holds up!!lol