Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you use coupons at the grocery store? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-use-coupons-grocery-store-t36230.html)

Marcia 02-07-2010 06:25 AM

With the rising cost of everything-including groceries-these days I am saving money everywhere I can (the more I save elsewhere, the more I can spend on fabric, right? :-D )

I shop at Publix. They double any coupon that is $.50 or less and have wonderful BOGO (Buy One Get One free) sales every week. I also print out a lot of coupons from the internet to use as I shop. Yesterday I bought French's mustard--it was BOGO. It usually costs $1.87, but I got 2 for that price. I also had a $.50 coupon for each one---which they doubled, so I got $2.00 off. If you do the math--they paid me $.13 to take home mustard!!! I also got 2 free dips the same way. I bought $94.00 worth of groceries, but only spent $57.00 and saved $37.00. My daughters are much better at this than I am---they save 50-70% every time they shop---and they are eating better than ever!

So---do you use coupons? Where do you find the best ones? Do you save a lot or a little?

tlrnhi 02-07-2010 06:32 AM

I use what coupons I can for the commissary.
I have friends that send me coupons, but most of what they send, I cannot use because the commissary doesn't sell the brand.
I do print, print, print from the internet.
With our pending move coming, I signed up for ezmeals, which gives me a shopping list. That way, I only buy what I need.

Most I've ever saved in the states shopping was about $70. That was about 10 years ago. Was at a grocery store that had the "buy one get 2 free or 3 free and some things were even buy one get 5 free". Gotta love those! Between that and the coupons I had, shopping was fun that day!

Up North 02-07-2010 06:39 AM

I rarely use coupons as I find they are always for Brand names and most often even with the coupon it is more expensive than store brand or generic. I also shop at Save-a-Lot and they have very reasonable prices on name brand products but do not take coupons. I can save about half on my grocery bill if I shop there. The town I live in only has one grocery store and their prices are ridiculous so we buy only sale items.

Marcia 02-07-2010 06:48 AM

My daughters were shopping at Walmart and using their coupons there. Now they are both shopping the sales and using coupons at Publix--buying more groceries and spending A LOT less money.

Terri--being an Army wife I understand all about shopping at the commissary. My closest one is almost an hour from my home and so I started comparing prices to see if it was worth it for me to make the trip. Only a few items are actually cheaper in the commissary----coffee and meats!! So, about once every three or four months I make a "meat run" to the commissary. I spend $100s but I fill my freezer, so it is worth the time and effort.

Up North--I only buy name brands when they are on sale and I have a coupon to make it less than the generic brand. The town I live in only has one grocery store, so I drive 22 miles to shop at a chain store where I can save more money.

lots2do 02-07-2010 06:48 AM

We are slowly moving away from shopping at the convenient supermarket that we both pass going to and from work to one a little further away. The 'convenient' one is much more expensive even if you have the store card to save on certain items. The other one has a greater selection and for the most part, much better prices. I can't keep up with coupons.
lots2do

omak 02-07-2010 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
I use what coupons I can for the commissary.
I have friends that send me coupons, but most of what they send, I cannot use because the commissary doesn't sell the brand.
I do print, print, print from the internet.
With our pending move coming, I signed up for ezmeals, which gives me a shopping list. That way, I only buy what I need.

Most I've ever saved in the states shopping was about $70. That was about 10 years ago. Was at a grocery store that had the "buy one get 2 free or 3 free and some things were even buy one get 5 free". Gotta love those! Between that and the coupons I had, shopping was fun that day!

One of the projects of our Unit is collecting coupons and shipping them to overseas commissaries. It is a specially productive program since we are allowed to forward on expired coupons (no more than three months past), but I have a question!
The people who send the information about how, when, where, and why - - tell us to NOT include computer coupons. I cannot quite get it through my head and Terri's post really brings it to the fore - - what happens to computer coupons that make the ones I print not acceptable to commissaries? (am just curious <g> not looking for a plot;) <wave>

Marcia 02-07-2010 07:04 AM

When we were living in Germany we were allowed to use coupons 6 months past their expiration date---but we were there before internet coupons, so I am clueless about that one.

Terri???? Can you fill us in????

watterstide 02-07-2010 07:06 AM

yes, i use coupons, and buy alot of the store brand items..a few things i only buy brand name..Campbells soup..some soaps etc...
i also look for current printable on-line coupons, for what i need.

tlrnhi 02-07-2010 07:09 AM

We can use coupons that are up to 3 months expired. Love that part because sometimes I forget my coupons lol

Don't know about the computer coupons. Maybe it's just some of the commissaries in Europe that don't take them. They take them here on Guam and I think they do take them in Japan.
Also too...some of the internet coupons are bogus, so that could be why too.

ToucanSam 02-07-2010 07:14 AM

Not too many coupons used with me. I don't know of any stores around here that double them so the store brands are usually less expensive even with coupons for the brand names.