Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you use a serger for any quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-use-serger-any-quilting-t271855.html)

Charleen DiSante 11-03-2015 07:09 PM

Do you use a serger for any quilting?

Would a serger be a good thing to have for quilting? Do you have a recommendation about a serger?

Prism99 11-03-2015 07:19 PM

I used a serger on a couple of quilts. Honestly, I do not recommend it. It is difficult to piece precisely with a serger, and there is substantially more thread build-up in the seams that shows up when you go to iron. I do not even like to use it to serge edges on a quilt because it is so easy to not do it straight, plus I do not like the harder edge the thread build-up gives to the finished binding.

bearisgray 11-03-2015 08:15 PM

I use a serger to overcast raw edges before washing the fabrics.

I also use it for finishing seams when I make quilted bags.

Some of them are easier to thread than others.

ManiacQuilter2 11-04-2015 03:45 AM

I agree with Prism99. Bought one and found the seams to be too bulky. The only reason I still have mine is a serge the doggie beds.

quilttiger 11-04-2015 04:01 AM

I have used the serger for the following: flatlocking to join large pieces of leftover batting, serging the raw edges of a quilt top, adding the binding to the quilted top, serging large pieces of fabric together for a backing, piecing squares together into a "fabric" before layering it with batting/backing to cut up for a fun quilted jacket and making a pillowcase to match a lap quilt.

Peggy Payson 11-04-2015 04:09 AM

I have done 2 king sized log cabin quilts with my serger, very fast and accurate.

romanojg 11-04-2015 05:01 AM

I love using my serger for so many things including quilting. I've made a couple including a QAYG one. You can also do decrotive stitching too with it. You can chose how many spools of thread you use and there are several options when it comes to stitches. I have a Babylock Ovation. Nancy Zieman has a book about making quilts with a serger along with some you tube videos. My next quilt I'm going to quilt with my latest toy, my Babylock Sashiko 2.

Sew Freak 11-04-2015 05:09 AM

I made a LC quilt with my serger and it turned out fine. However, I don't think I'd ever use a serger again for a guilt. I just fee it's over kill and a waste of thread. I sew clothes from time to time and I'd never want to not have a serger to finish off those seams, it makes the seams look so nice! But if you have a machine that came with a nice amount of machine feet you may find that it has an overcast foot or it may be called by another name (edge foot maybe) that will zig a stitch going off the edge of the fabric then zag back onto the fabric and will leave a stitch that encases the edge so it won't ravel. I use mine when I'm too lazy to change the color of the thread on the serger when a thread change would really matter.

mtpockets1 11-04-2015 07:48 AM

I too love using my serger for all my quilts. I use 4 threads because I like the double straight stitch as extra security. When directing seaming blocks together, you do have to watch but I don't think that is much different from any other machine. I have a Babylock Evolve and an industrial serger and favor the industrial by far. If you have the room for a 48" table and the muscle to bring it too the right spot that is the machine I would suggest. I did buy the industrial machine off Craigslist for $400 and added a Servo motor for another $200 which is a far cry from what I paid for the Babylock and would never look back! Not much goes wrong with either machine but I have so much more versatility with the industrial for far less money. I have had to bring it in once in four years but other then that no problems. I use it for curtains, prewashing fabric, doll mattress for a baby buggy and blankets too match, edging wool blankets, finishing the edges of awnings for my husband's camper, upholstery work and the list goes on and on! I have 6 industrial machines and am happy with each and everyone of them but do have 1/3 of our basement as one of my sewing rooms. They are all vintage machines and ranged in price from $100-$400 plus the servo motors but they do so much more then the home machines if you have the room. Just finished the Double Irish Chain quilt top all of which was done on the serger. I also have a longarm machine and only have problems with going over the seams once in a while which can happen with straight stitched seams too. Wouldn't finish my quilts any other way! Good luck on your decision.

Tothill 11-04-2015 09:19 AM

I have a friend who makes quilted table cloths. She serges the seams on them, because unlike a bed quilt, they are washed much more frequently. She feels the serged seams will hold up better in the long run. I have not noticed bulk from the extra thread when sitting at her table.

If I was making a beach or play quilt, I would do the same. Serge the seams, so they can better handle the wear and tear.

mtpockets, god information about the industrial machines. The occasionally come up for sale around here. Do they need extra power to run?