Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you use a table topper? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-use-table-topper-t70606.html)

Jennifer22206 10-17-2010 05:11 PM

I also use them. On my dining room table which is long and rectangular I use a runner and kitchen table which is circular I use a table topper. Usually I leave the one on the kitchen table until I or husband or baby spill something then I just wash it. For the dining room table I take that off before we eat. I Love the extra color it adds to the room. We also use placemats

Zephyr 10-18-2010 01:30 PM

I have an oval table with a rather good sized lazy susan on it that holds salt, pepper, napkins and junk. I think about a topper all the time but would hate to cover up a lot of it with the lazy susan. I have made place mats that we use every day. I only put a very thin sandwich material in them and they must be NO iron!

jljack 10-18-2010 01:39 PM

My first table runner I ever had I got in the Fall Swap here on the board, and it is now displayed on my coffee table. Why not on dining table? Too much stuff there...it is desk, work table, craft table, etc etc. I do plan on making more table runners...as soon as the rush is over, whenever that happens!! :-)

Butterflyblue 10-18-2010 02:42 PM

I use one on my coffee table, and sometimes one on my dining table, to hold salt and pepper, sugar, etc, and also to act as a sort of jumbo hotpad.

I am building up a little collection, I like to have some seasonal ones to swap out.

Tudey 10-18-2010 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
I have seen some lovely work on table toppers here, but if someone gave one to me, I would not know what to do with it. Do you put it on the dining table when it is not set for a meal? (Nothing extra would fit on my table when it is in use for eating at.)
Or maybe they are not for dining tables?
So, explain to me, please!!!

They are nice on the dining table, but on coffee tables, dresser tops, hallway tables, too

Monica 10-18-2010 04:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I love my table toppers. I use one on my coffee table that I made from fabrics I bought on my honeymoon in alaska earlier this year and everytime I look at it, it brings back happy memories. It also protects the table from snacks and food.

MadQuilter 10-18-2010 04:45 PM

We have a table topper. Monty the cat. Little bugger simply cannot get it in his head that a cat does not belong on the table. grrrrrr. I saw somewhere that a person had used 2-sided tape on a place mat to teach the cat a lesson. My numbnuts would probably run around like a little madcat with a mat stuck to his furry butt. Until he learns to behave - I will not have any decorations. (The one placemat has beads, and he picks them out)

okiepastor 10-18-2010 05:10 PM

I am making three for Xmas gifts, and one for us--have not had one to use in years--usually sewing on the table, but now I have an area set up so we can actually use the table for food!
I made a reversible one for my daughter' birthday---Big O blocks of Halloween on one side and fall/thanksgiving on the other side. there are some pretty ones in this thread! I will have to get more creative!

Monica 10-18-2010 05:15 PM

Also table runners are fun too! they can also be used on your bedroom dresser or chest of drawers. I especially love the quilt as you go ones.

katied772 10-18-2010 05:16 PM

I mainly use them during holidays and sometimes on accent tables.