Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Do you volunteer, and if so, tell us about it (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/do-you-volunteer-if-so-tell-us-about-t281121.html)

RugosaB 08-09-2016 04:28 PM

My plan was, when the kids were grown and gone, to spend a lot of time volunteering. My husband and I know we've been very blessed in our lives and feel it is our duty to give back. Then I was in a car accident and that's just not possible.

I was lucky, very, I had a closed head injury, but can still sew. So, most of my volunteering is like you said, making quilts.

I think I can't do anything that would put me on a schedule because I just don't have the brain power to do that, but I'm finding things where the abilities I still have can help others.

Neanie 08-09-2016 04:30 PM

I volunteer at my local library one day a week. On another day I work with a church sewing group that makes "prayer quilts" for their parishioners whose families request them. One night a week I attend choir practice for Sunday mass. All of these activities are important parts of my life

quiltingshorttimer 08-09-2016 06:19 PM

I'm currently secretary and newsletter editor for my Guild--take over the president's job next year. We've made over 600 quilts for local Vets in past 3 years and I'm been one of handful of longarmers on those. Plus we provide a quilt for any family dealing with a natural disaster, quilts for cancer aid group, and other projects.
I'm also on the board of the local history museum and research library--and volunteer 2 full days a month for them.
And I'm a Red Cross volunteer--but due to health am restricted on deployments.
I also do some volunteering at church, but having chaired several committees and run VBS 2 times, I 'm letting others take the lead there.

mjhaess 08-14-2016 01:57 PM

I volunteer for Habitat for Humanity. I helped build a house. It was an all women's build. Had a great time and learned a lot..

EloiseW. 08-18-2016 05:06 PM

Folks who quilt, knit, crochet, etc. are interesting, involved and caring people. This is just such an amazingly loving site.

QUILTNMO 08-28-2016 03:30 PM

i do food pantry at my church every friday we feed the homeless and once a month i do meals on wheels and every 6 weeks on the altar guild at church!!

quiltjoey 10-01-2016 08:52 PM

Other than making Linus quilts at our small church group and charity things at our local guild, I'm a Master Gardener through Clemson University program and volunteer at Magnolia Plantation and Gardens in Charleston, SC. I work in the greenhouse planting seeds, transferring plugs, and propagating plants. I've volunteered there for 9 years.
All planting seeds are used out in the Gardens throughout the year. It's a beautiful, tranquil place to see and be involved in. There's always something blooming throughout the year. There's wildlife; crocs, egrets, cormorants, birds of all kinds, copperheads, Eastern Diamond back rattlers, water moccasins, tourists from all over the world. It's an honor to volunteer there...