Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Does anyone buy bulk foods? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/does-anyone-buy-bulk-foods-t91162.html)

Ditter43 01-16-2011 03:48 PM

I've been looking for a place to buy bulk foods like dried beans and some canned foods. I know Sams club is supposed to be reasonable on some of those items.
Any input or information would be appreciated.... :-D

Cyn 01-16-2011 03:49 PM

Our commissary has lot sales but I bet that doesn't help you :(

luvTooQuilt 01-16-2011 03:52 PM

I have a sams and a costco membership.. Its ok.. not too great of deals.. Hubby eats lots of meat so I tend to go buy that there.. that and paper products.. God forbid we run out of his Charmin extra soft.. So i tend to stock up on that too..

Up North 01-16-2011 04:30 PM

Gordon foods. I used to when there were 7 of us here but now with just two and limited freezer space just buy at the grocery store on sale.

denise d 01-16-2011 05:40 PM

Ditter,
Do you have any ethnic markets? I noticed that you are in Crystal River.. and I know it is a small area.

We generally get a lot of our bulk meats from Sam's but for beans and rice and that sort of thing, we go to an international market.

CoyoteQuilts 01-16-2011 06:46 PM

The sad part about Sam's club is that they only carry either: 1) limited variety (corn and string beans, regular cut) or 2) combinations of flavors. For me the prices are reasonable. Just yesterday I bought 12 cans of Campbell's chicken noodle soup for 60 cents a can, tomato soup for around the same price (can't remember exact) But, I also get the french vanilla coffee creamer 64 ounces for less than 5 bucks a container, a bag of cut up lettuce salad is about 3 bucks, laundry soap that lasts me (house of 2, 6-8 loads a week) about 3 months for 10 bucks. For a person that shops the sales and uses coupons ALL the time, these aren't great deals, but I hate taking my quilting time to cut coupons and scour the ads every week. I shop at Sam's 1-2 times a month (it's to easy to stop on my way home, 'cause one or two are close....) and this helps me save money. I also buy flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, tuna fish, vitamins, meds, batteries, meats, frozen veggies & meats, water, and fabric softener. I would really love to buy some of their jewelry....

Dried beans are a great price at Wal-Mart, none to be found at Sam's.

So, yes, for me it is a great deal. I have had my membership for about 20 years.......

pgthom 01-16-2011 06:53 PM

We (DH and I) have a Sam's membership, and go about once a month. I buy some products there, but not all are a great value, and anything perishable is too much for the 2 of us to use before it spoils. We have a couple good "health food" stores here, and I find they are good places to buy grain products in bulk. We are also an hours' drive from Amish country in N. Indiana, and DD gets a lot of her baking supplies there. Price savings make it worth the trip, as she has a home bakery. Unfortunately, I think we all have to comparison shop more now days!

cjsparks 01-16-2011 07:13 PM

I was just thinking the same thing about the amish stores. Do you have any in your area? I know that this might not be...but how about farmer's markets?

cjsparks 01-16-2011 07:26 PM

I googled "Amish bulk food florida" There is a shop listed in Largo.

denise d 01-16-2011 07:29 PM

Largo is pretty far from Crystal River and the traffic on US 19 is ridiculous.

You would spend more in gas than it would cost to by non-bulk.