Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   does anyone do this anymore? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/does-anyone-do-anymore-t39699.html)

janRN 03-16-2010 04:55 AM

I make my own Scrubs for work. The ones in the stores are very juvenile lately (I don't think a 60yr old nurse looks good in Dora the Explorer). The cost works out about the same but things fit. I used to make all my clothes; thinking about doing more. I'm tired of shopping for tops and they're the size of a tube sock and marked size large!!

sewjoyce 03-16-2010 05:42 AM

I used to make a lot of my own clothes -- "fashion" fabric was much less expensive then :lol: :lol: And now I have several totes full of fabric that would be excellent for "office wear" that I have no more use for....do you think anyone would be interested in purchasing some of it???

redkimba 03-16-2010 05:48 AM

does making clothes that went out of style 150 years ago count? :P

Keep an eye out on pattern sales. Joann's fabric will run them for 99 cents once in a while; use the coupons so you can get the better fabrics; shop the on-line fabric stores.

Most of all, take your time with the pattern.

I like making my own clothes because, although the costs might end up the same, that item will be done to fit me - not everyone size fill-in-blank here.

Originally Posted by middysmom
does anyone make their own clothes anymore i use to but haven't done it in a long time i was just wondering if anyone does this anymore and could give me some tips thanks dorothy

DebraK 03-16-2010 06:34 AM

nothing more than vests (quilted of course), or skirts for me.

Chele 03-16-2010 06:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I walk by this and cringe. My daughter wants me to make it for her. I'm terrified. I'd rather do 5,000 HST's by hand while sitting in the dentist's chair. LOL! I'm so dramatic!

Quilter7x 03-16-2010 06:40 AM

I make some of my own clothes, shirts, pants, skirts. I had a body scan done by www.unique.com and can buy patterns from them that fit my body. No need to make any adjustments on the pattern, just sew them up and the fit perfectly! Fit is the main reason I like making clothes for myself.

sewjoyce 03-16-2010 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Chele
I walk by this and cringe. My daughter wants me to make it for her. I'm terrified. I'd rather do 5,000 HST's by hand while sitting in the dentist's chair. LOL! I'm so dramatic!

Chele -- don't sweat the small stuff!! That will be VERY easy to make -- trust me :lol: :lol:

QBeth 03-16-2010 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
I make some of my own clothes, shirts, pants, skirts. I had a body scan done by www.unique.com and can buy patterns from them that fit my body. No need to make any adjustments on the pattern, just sew them up and the fit perfectly! Fit is the main reason I like making clothes for myself.

When I went to that website, it pulled up a media company that looks like it's in the UK. Can you double check the address? I'm very intrigued. Thanks.

Olivia's Grammy 03-16-2010 10:10 AM

I make most of my clothes. I buy patterns and fabric when they are on sale or recreate my own patterns. It's so hard to buy clothes that aren't cut down to the .................. or up to the ................ I've started buying camisoles bc I want to have some parts covered. Even the new patterns have to much skin showing. I've made at least one of anything you can think of. I made my DD wedding dress and my DIL wanted me to make hers. Made one for a niece too. Don't do wedding dress anymore. I want to start making Olivia dresses, just waiting for her to start walking. Already got fabric and patterns for her.

hokieappmom 03-16-2010 10:16 AM

Yes I sew a lot of my own clothes also. I made about all of my maternity clothes and my children's clothes until they were in middle school. My daughter recently asked me to teach her to sew, so right now we are in the process of making a cute tucked vest from one of my husband's old flannel shirts.