Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Does anyone else do this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/does-anyone-else-do-t267625.html)

DOTTYMO 07-15-2015 10:51 PM

Does anyone else do this?

When you are sewing on the machine does anyone else count the needle going up and down? I also if walking alone count my steps . In fact if a job is repetitive I am always counting in my head. It is not just started over60 time I've always done it. My great gran started it as a child and i just keep going.

ckcowl 07-16-2015 02:06 AM

I find myself counting steps and other miscellaneous things,actions. Never really thought about it. I don't remember counting stitches/ needle going up & down, but I bet I have/do on occasion. Funny the things we do without thinking about. :)

kathy 07-16-2015 02:33 AM

my sister (63) counts EVERYTHING! pulling weeds especially! I find myself (58) doing it too now. maybe it's an age thing.

sval 07-16-2015 02:41 AM

I always thought I did this because of all the years of counting money at the bank. I count peeling vegetables, chopping them, etc. People really look at you weird when you tell them how many carrots are in the salad. LOL.
I've never counted the machine needle. But that's most likely cuz I can't really see it all that well.

katesnanna 07-16-2015 03:22 AM

A little OCD. Never knew I had it until talking to my psychiatrist. Explains a lot for me.

Yooper32 07-16-2015 03:49 AM

I have had this annoying habit forever. When my first child was born, my landlady had a "spin -dryer" washer. You put the clothes in the washer, they wash, then you put them in a little cylindrical tube and it spins the water out, then you put the clothes back in the washer to rinse, and then back to the spin.. you get the picture? Well, I had to count the diapers into the washer, into the spin, into the washer, into the spin, and he had tender skin so I had an extra rinse for Dia-soft, so into the washer for that and into the spin. Then that wasn't enough, I had to count them as I hung them on the line to dry, and off to the basket, when done and then as I folded them, or piled up the Dexters,( shaped diaper). So, I often to this day catch myself counting something or other, but haven't started on the needle ups and downs, oh my!
So, Kate's Nana, what causes a person to do this? Inquiring minds want to know.

kyquiltlover1942 07-16-2015 03:52 AM

I do the same thing. I blame it on knitting and crocheting and needing to keep count of the stitches. I even count during water arobics. I don't count the needle all the time , but if going slow on the machine, I do sometimes

bearisgray 07-16-2015 03:57 AM

I also count some things - like how many pea pods I've shelled, how many green beans I've cut up - but I usually only do it in increments of 100 or so - and then start over from one.

Never counted how many times my sewing machine needle goes up and down. I might count stitches when I hand quilt, though.

jcrilley 07-16-2015 03:59 AM

Have done this to some degree all my life! Thought I was a little nuts but I guess it's not that unusual. Thanks for making me feel better!

Onebyone 07-16-2015 04:06 AM

I don't now but I use to count everything from steps to paneling strips in a wall to how many bricks up to a window. Ugh. One day I was counting blooming flowers by color and thought why am I doing this, it's a waste of time and it feels like work I have to do. Whenever I started counting again I stopped myself and ignored the counts. After awhile the counting stopped. I just let it go and I noticed a lot of stress seem to go with it.